A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99.5 A4 article in AUTOCAR

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-1999, 04:38 PM
Ali B

Default 99.5 A4 article in AUTOCAR

I apologize in advance if this 2-page write-up in the Feb. 3, 1999 isue of AUTOCAR from UK has already been discussed before.<p>Among the sheetmetal changes, they mention revisions to the bumpers and trunk lid and shape of the rear license plate surround. One of the interior shots shows the double-DIN Symphony stereo with in-dash CD. The headlight washers appear to be flush with the front bumper. Circular foglights are located in a wider front apron, and door handles and exterior mirrors have been slightly redesigned. The chrome trim around the 4-rib grille is also wider now. <p>The European models have the mechanical changes mentioned on A4.org, including drive-by-wire throttle, suspension reworks, revised steering (firmer, with improved feel), improved braking (tandem brake booster and larger master cylinder).<p>The article is not all that favorable to the A4. They say that the car is not as focused as the Alfa 156, their favorite sport sedan at the moment. They also mention that Audi gasoline engines have a rather harsh top-end performance, and that Audi's diesel engines are more competitive relative to the opposition. Elsewhere in the same issue, they mention that the A4 is no longer cutting edge, despite its good looks.
Old 03-04-1999, 10:46 PM
E46 Killer

What you are doing here? Try to tell us your E46 is &quot;cutting edge&quot;!!!
Old 03-05-1999, 02:37 AM
vertigo

Default pfff!

And god knows that alfa's are renowned for their cutting edge<br>technology. Nothing like a couple extra spark plugs to define the<br>future of auto-tech. I really wish I could trade quattor for a couple of<br>extra spark plugs. Or better yet, a couple of steel rims off an E46 323i.<br>Pluuh--EAse! Spare us your sillyness. And tell me where else I can<br>get so much car for 25k? A 318ti??? A gold plated Aspire? How<br>about a peugot, fiat, or other great high tech auto?<br>
Old 03-05-1999, 05:39 AM
GusS

Default it's not pluuh-EAse, it's puuh-lease

Old 03-05-1999, 06:55 AM
Ali B

Default I don't own an E46. You are confused!

I only reported accurately what the article said. My post had nothing to do with the E46. Relax
Old 03-05-1999, 08:14 AM
Glenn R

Default Man, I just can't resist getting in on this one...

First of all, I take magazine articles with one very large grain of salt. They are based solely on personl opinion, and that is the defacto bottom line.<p>Secondly, the reviewer obviously thinks "cutting edge" means constantly changing the design of a vehicle to, I guess, keep up with the Jones's. In Audis case, they needn't tamper with what is surely pure perfection, and they needn't add cutesy gadgets that are only a cause for driver distraction anyway.<p>Lastly, I have to ask, why does the poster (Ali B) find it necessary to keep posting negative things about the A4 to this forum. Is it insecurity or immaturity?
Old 03-05-1999, 08:28 AM
Brian

Default Re: Ali B. Insecurity or immaturity? Sounds both

-
Old 03-05-1999, 08:47 AM
Geza

This isn't a derogatory post. Why is everyone so upset?
Old 03-05-1999, 08:52 AM
GaryJ

Default I hope a 3 1/2 year old design is no longer considered "cutting edge"...

I think it would be a tradgedy for auto enthusiasts like us if it took other automakers more than 3 years to catch up to the A4's technological firepower. And if my 30V engine is considered "harsh" in any way, shape, or form, I hope all my future cars are equally as "harsh" (they should drive my push-rod 5.0 Mustang).<p>The EU Auto-rag is right about one thing. My A4 is not as "focused" as other cars. My Mustang is completely focused: at going fast in a straight line. My Audi excels at acceleration, handling, comfort, fun, German engineering, etc., etc., etc, but is not "focused" on any one. So they're right.<p>GaryJ
Old 03-05-1999, 09:49 AM
Ash

Geza is right, the post ain't that bad...it's just the Mag's point of view...take it or leave it. Relax guys.

Quick Reply: 99.5 A4 article in AUTOCAR