A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

99 Audi A4 B5 Pushing All Power Steering Fluid Out of Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Audi A4 B5 Pushing All Power Steering Fluid Out of Reservoir

Hello all,

First post here, thanks for having me. I have a 99 A4 B5 5 Spd Quattro. Steering rack was leaking something fierce, replaced it. Then a week later, all the power steering fluid was pushing itself out the overflow cap. Not even kidding, the reservoir is completely dry and I have no power steering.

So I replaced the pump thinking this could be the culprit, it had been making a lot of noise anyway. New power steering pump makes the same noise and again, two short drives and all the power steering fluid again has shot all over underneath the hood, I have no power steering and the overflow is empty.

Does anyone have any thoughts? For the little time I can get the fluid to stay in the system, it works fine even though there is a lot of pump noise. I was going to start taking lines off one by one and making sure they're clean.

For reference, I'm using Pentosin CHF11s fluid, which was what I found recommended.

Thanks!

-Philip.