A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is the A4 Quattro for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the A4 Quattro for me?

Currently drive a civic, in need of a second vehicle. I live in new England, so I need AWD.

Is there a specific Quattro everyone here finds better than others maintenance wise? Was hoping to find a A4 Quattro S line, but I'm not sure if the A6 and A8 are worth looking at as well. Want something as reliable as my civic, but still fun to drive.

Let me know specific years and or models!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since i have had my car for about two months now, I am likely the least educated person to reply to you on the subject of Quattro. Except it is known overall as the best AWD system out there. I doubt the vehicle matters as much as you think and is likely preference over how large or small you would like the car.

Being a New Englander also, it's funny that you say you need Quattro. Unless you've recently moved here, you should be able to drive in bad weather fairly well in nearly any jalopy. Civics are pretty darn good in almost any weather as long as they aren't all boogered up and lowered to scrap the pavement.

No matter what, I bet you enjoy moving up to an Audi soon.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've lived in new England all my life, but I live in an area where I have some steep hills and I've been stuck numerous times. I've always been able to have my parents pick me up in their SUV, but I'm going to be living on my own now.

Anyway yeah more opinions on the specific models I'm new to Audis!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reliability will depend on how old the car is.
Audi (like BMW & Merc) are very highly engineered. The upside is when they are new, they are great cars, but all that extra engineering and electronics that is not on asian makes also comes at a cost when they age. I have 4 VAG cars ranging from 2004 to 2012. The 2004 A6 2.7TT Quattro takes a lot of maintenance. Just due to age things are cracking and breaking. I have a 2005 A4 1.8T quattro which had some issues when I got it, I did a full service - belt, tensioners, water pump, plugs, coil packs, filters etc and is now very reliable. The 2008 2.0 FSI is a lot more reliable but still had some issues with electronic door locks and the 2012 (baby 1.4T) just gets an annual service. The quattro versions do not need more maintenance because of the AWD as the transfer boxes seem to be reliable.
There was some issues with the 2.0T particularly in the States, research up on a recent class action which Audi are now responsible for, to confirm which years it effected. It had to do with the oil circulation. I don't know the details because it didn't effect my engines.
As for which model - the wife likes the A3 because it's 'nippy', son likes the A4 because its a good size (he's 6'5") and the 1.8T is economical, and I drive the A6 2.7TT. If it's just you in the car most of the time, the A4 offers the most options and there are lots of parts and aftermarket stuff available.
My son hates the radio options on the B6/B7 models as most did not come with the phone, bluetooth connections as standard which were available (here anyway) from about 2008 onwards.

Owning 3 cars with turbos and one without, if I was to buy 10 years or older I would probably look for larger non-turbo engines, less performance but more reliability. If you want the performance, just budget for a replacement turbo unless you find one that grandma owned.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

if your looking for a daily driver on the older side i'd go for a4 2.8 30v. 2000 or 2001. ive got 2 an i love em. I also live in new england here in ma. You cannot beat them for winters around here with a set of snows on em. shovel lol whats a shovel? i do my own mechanics so no mechanics fees.So owning audi's really depends on your pockets or mechanical abilities. just a thought
Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You wont find an Audi with the reliability of a Civic. However, the Audi is a lot more fun to drive, especially in the winter. By keeping up with maintenance, and doing repairs yourself whenever possible, the Audi won't be much more expensive to own.

My winter beater of choice is a '99 A4 1.8t 5spd. I also recommend the old 12v 2.8l V6 SOHC motors. (Produced from '94-'97 I believe) Look for a 1996 A4 2.8. I tuned one up recently and it drove like a new car. Never would have guessed it had 244,000 miles on it. Oil leaks are common at that age, but those motors are bullet proof.