Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Account #: 84851

Default Audi A4 transmission swap

i needed some help on transmission swap, will i just need the following

1. manual transmission
2. pedal assembly
3.clutch cable
4. manual transmission radiator
5. clutch and flywheel

please let me know if that is all i need,cause i got all of the 5 items above in my shed from a donar car from a 97 Audi A4 with 50,000 miles , my car is a 1997 Audi A4 Automatic , but i want to convert it to 5-speed once the automatic goes bad ,

i had just got done changing the whole interior to a S4 interior, with complete center console S4 dash with light up dash vents and the 2 red LED's that shine down at night, and all door panels with alarm LED on doors and Full interior wire harness from a 2000 Audi A4 with CAN-BUS converted over , so now i have the can-gateway box in the car, so car looks like S4 on the inside, i used TachoPro and Vag-Com to re Program the Audi S4 Cluster to work with the 1.8t 4cyl RPM's , at first i was driving and the Cluster was for a V6 so the RPM's where off , so i re-programed the Tach to work on the 1.8t 4cly RPM range , this is the biggest conversion of a inside of the car i ever did ! lots of wires ! FUN ! thanks
AUDI B5 PLATFORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 81277

Default pics of interior... post some

Im@wesome~ out! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Account #: 19399

Default I think you'll need a propellar shaft as well as some of the wiring associated

with the manual, clutch interlock, etc. Clutch master (and slave) will need to be mounted with the pedal box. I am not sure if the brake system is different but I'd look for differences there too ...
If you still have the donor car you should have most, if not all, of what you'd need.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 64314

Default clutch interlock is not necessary, 96-97 didn't have them

You will need to wire in the back up light connector. Theres also the rpm sensor, which might or might not be on the auto tranny.

You also forgot the shifter linkage, with the shift box that goes into the middle console and the actual shifter. Also the clutch is hydraulic, theres no cables.
halik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 AM   #5
Account #: 19399

Default I didn't suggest the clutch was cable actuated.

I did suggest he'd have to mount the clutch master/slave circuit.
He didn't say what MY he was swapping into. He might get away without any safety interlocks but since I don't know the wiring set up for TIPS .. or if all TIPS have brake pedal safety interlocks ... I mentioned it as a possibility.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 35702

Default The crankshafts are different from auto to manual and you will need to swap motors as well.

Or tear down the motor and swap out the crank.

So, be prepared for a lot more work unless you planned to swap out the motor already.
----66 Mini Cooper S 27K miles & all original except cam, electronic ignition, oversize brakes and Yoko race tires.
----projects a-plenty - too many to count.
Allroady DungBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^^^^^What he said.^^^^^ Plus the crankshaft on the motor issue.

----66 Mini Cooper S 27K miles & all original except cam, electronic ignition, oversize brakes and Yoko race tires.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #8
Account #: 39415

Default no clutch cable.....

it's hydralic. you'll need master and slave cylinders. also they share the reservior with the brakes so you may need to replace that too.
'97 1.8tqms A4: apr stage 1, Miltek exhaust, K&N, SB/OFE clutch, S4 liner, apr snubby, bilstien hd, , h-sports arb's,cpp rear down links, autospeed dts, racetec strut brace, ecs 2 pc. A8 front brakes,pbr/axxis deluxe pads, goodridge ss. brakelines suspension hardware , sports mats, sunglass holder,
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #9
Account #: 39415

Default do you have a pic of a manual crank?

i think this is an auto. the only difference i can find is the manual has a pinion bearing.

'97 1.8tqms A4: apr stage 1, Miltek exhaust, K&N, SB/OFE clutch, S4 liner, apr snubby, bilstien hd, , h-sports arb's,cpp rear down links, autospeed dts, racetec strut brace, ecs 2 pc. A8 front brakes,pbr/axxis deluxe pads, goodridge ss. brakelines suspension hardware , sports mats, sunglass holder,
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, but i was told by my local stealer, my indi mechanic (who is an Audi tech) and Shokan that

it will not work and the manual crank is different.

Someone here has done it as well, maybe a couple people but i know it's been done and they had to swap it out.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18t, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 97, a4, audi, automatic, manual, swap, tips, tranny, trans, transmission