A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Brakes - wobble at speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-1999, 06:39 AM
Brian H.

Default Brakes - wobble at speed

While running hot-laps at Seattle International this past weekend, I experienced a "floaty" feeling when breaking for turn two--this at the end of a long straight and gentle turn to the right where speeds approach 120mph.<p>Current mods to the car: Bilstein/H&R Sport setup, Kinesis K5 Wheels with 225/45-ZR17 rubber, Mintex pads (front).<p>I'm running the stock brake-fluid at the moment.<p>Anyone have any experience with a "floaty" brake feeling on the A4? Was a bit disconcerting to say the least. Tough thing to describe, I'm afraid....<p>TIA<p>Brian H.<br>98 1.8TQMS, AutoThority, Bilsteins, H&R n' other spiffy stuff
Old 06-14-1999, 07:04 AM
Jon

Default Floaty? Not sure what you mean. Is the pedal softer? Did the ABS kick in...

Can you clarify? I just upgraded to Mintex and ATE PowerDiscs and my pedal has gotten very soft, in fact the ABS kicked in at Summit Point. I am going to put in ATE Super Blue fluid to improve the feel .I think the stock fluid isn't up to par with newer pads/rptprs...<p>Jon<br>'96 A4qs
Old 06-14-1999, 07:09 AM
Brian H.

Default No ABS kick-in....(more)

Nope...the ABS didn't kick in...I got a side-to-side wiggly/floaty feeling under hard braking...it's didn't pull, mind you...just felt...uh...floaty. The car felt a bit loose...best I can describe it.<p>Brian H.<br>98 1.8TQMS
Old 06-14-1999, 08:53 AM
Ray Calvo

Default From your poor description, some ideas

1) Feel some vibraation under heavy braking, pedal is firm: probably warping the rotors<br>2) brake pedal feel OK, car feels OK under acceleration or cornering: Possibly you are starting to push car harder, under braking the rear is becoming light and rear tires not gripping. Might try:<br> - HD suspension (springs and shocks) <br> - differeent tire pressure; unfortunately I don't know which way to go in this case (might recommend less in rear - what are you running?)<br> - Did you clobber anything on track? Alignment might be out<br> - Did this happen at the end of a runsession? Near-empty gas tamk would shift mor eweight to the nose under braking, making rear lighter than when have full tank and leading to rear skittishness
Old 06-14-1999, 08:54 AM
Josh

Same thing with my Mintex pads (but at low speed with medium brake effort)