A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clunking coming from the rear differential (not mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littledog
Okay the VW shop says there's some "backlash" in the rear differential. Basically there's a "gap" so when the center drive shalf turns the rear axles don't turn right away. So there are some play between the gears/pinions in the rear differential.

Long story short I need to get my rear diff rebuilt or get a junkyard diff (which could have the same problem). Not looking good
That is what I suspected. Rear end ain't cheap either.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by littledog
Loosen the fill plug on the diff on a hoist. The level is right at the bottom of the fill plug/hole.
Good to know you can rule it out. I was unable to see in my fill plug, but likely because it was low.

Anyhow, given where you are now in diagnosis it sounds like a rebuild or JY differential is in order. Sorry!
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Chris, do you guys at ECS sell rear ends?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaimesonlee
Chris, do you guys at ECS sell rear ends?
We can order anything with a part number. A whole rear-end new from VW/Audi won't be cheap though. If you are interested drop me a PM with your model, year and VIN and I'll see what is available.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 01-29-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

what was ever the outcome of this? i have the same problem
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by djtalon
what was ever the outcome of this? i have the same problem
Replaced rear diff with an used low mileage unit. Clunk is still there. Just been living with it...
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2002 audi tt quattro rear end clunk

I am having a similar problem in my TT, but I started by checking the electrical components first, I pulled the #31 fuse which controls the haldex clutch/automatic gearbox. (my TT is a 6 spd) after pulling the fuse the clunk stopped. maybe try doing the same thing to yours and see if it makes a difference. I for sure narrowed it down
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately my car is in pieces but when I do, I'll defintely try that!!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have a similar problem, a clunk. 96` a4, 180k.

i notice it between each gear shift, especially when i down shift. i have to let the clutch out very delicately and feel when the gears are touching, then let go.

i looked underneath and found that there is a little-bit backlash throughout the whole rear differential, (just a little) from the center drive shaft to the differential, to the rear drive axles and then the wheels..

but the MOST play is between the rear-shaft cv joint and the differential. almost 15 millimeters. if that play were fixed i think the whole clunk problem would be reduced significantly..

is that the same kind of inner cv joint that's apart of the wheel-axles?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My TT was doing this a while back. Every time the weight shifted on the rear end, the car made a loud clunk. Turns out 2/3 bolts were stripped out on my rear end and that's what was causing the clunks.

Quick Reply: Clunking coming from the rear differential (not mounts)