A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Clunking coming from the rear differential (not mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info on this old thread guys. I have yet to investigate mine as it's in a different state at the moment but I'll be going to get it here within the next few weeks.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anything to add on this? Experiencing the same issue with my A6 c5 (v6) quattro, and I've been utterly unable to narrow it down.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

So from what I gathered, the haldex system is basically a hydraulic locker for the rear end and requires a filter and fluid change every 30K miles. Problem is, it's on top of the diff and s bastard to get to. I think it was said in this thread that you can unplug a fuse to the system that'll help with the clunking.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jaimesonlee
So from what I gathered, the haldex system is basically a hydraulic locker for the rear end and requires a filter and fluid change every 30K miles. Problem is, it's on top of the diff and s bastard to get to. I think it was said in this thread that you can unplug a fuse to the system that'll help with the clunking.
This might be. But the A4 / B5 (and A6 / C5) is ,afaik, Torsen (mechanical diffs), not Haldex (viscous). Changing or topping off the oil/fluid on the (rear) torsen diff on these is easy enough (drain in bottom, fill/level on the side). But if running the diff fluid level low enough to be the cause of this kind of issue, you're most likely looking at permanent damage. Restoring fluid levels won't restore worn-down / broken-off metal (causing play).
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is my experience with a clunk, in a nutshell:

Car:
1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 5 spd

Symptoms:
Driveline clunk when engaging the clutch from a standstill, up / down shifting, and when lifting / applying the gas pedal.

Diagnosis:
- I assumed it was my rear diff mount, the big on that everyone replaces with Poly, but when I replaced my stock mount with poly the clunk was intensified.
- Then I replaced the transmission mounts since they were worn anyway. Essentially no change in the clunk.
- Then I got serious and actually crawled under the car to inspect things closely, rather than just throw more parts at it. I was specifically looking for play in CV joints and the rear diff (between ring / pinion). Without going into a lot of detail on how to do this, I was able to feel a bit of play in my driveshaft CVs (both of them). I didn't think the small amount of play would be the smoking gun, but by replacing both CVs along with the support bearing, the clunk was ALMOST gone. Probably 90%. My support bearing and mount looked bad, but not destroyed. I went back under the car and felt some play in the rear axle CVs, and on a whim put the stock diff mount in. Now the clunk is 99% gone. So, the poly rear diff mount was magnifying the driveline play that I had (and still have to a certain extent).

Solution:
To summarize the above, my center driveshaft CVs (1x front and 1x rear) and the driveshaft support bearing solved my clunk.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q20v
Here is my experience with a clunk, in a nutshell:

Car:
1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro 5 spd

Symptoms:
Driveline clunk when engaging the clutch from a standstill, up / down shifting, and when lifting / applying the gas pedal.

Diagnosis:
- I assumed it was my rear diff mount, the big on that everyone replaces with Poly, but when I replaced my stock mount with poly the clunk was intensified.
- Then I replaced the transmission mounts since they were worn anyway. Essentially no change in the clunk.
- Then I got serious and actually crawled under the car to inspect things closely, rather than just throw more parts at it. I was specifically looking for play in CV joints and the rear diff (between ring / pinion). Without going into a lot of detail on how to do this, I was able to feel a bit of play in my driveshaft CVs (both of them). I didn't think the small amount of play would be the smoking gun, but by replacing both CVs along with the support bearing, the clunk was ALMOST gone. Probably 90%. My support bearing and mount looked bad, but not destroyed. I went back under the car and felt some play in the rear axle CVs, and on a whim put the stock diff mount in. Now the clunk is 99% gone. So, the poly rear diff mount was magnifying the driveline play that I had (and still have to a certain extent).

Solution:
To summarize the above, my center driveshaft CVs (1x front and 1x rear) and the driveshaft support bearing solved my clunk.
Great info, Barry! I bet this is the cause of mine, too. Can you tell me about the work involved changing the driveshaft CVs?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just realized

My last lengthy, in depth and detailed reply to this thread didn't post. FML!

Last edited by jaimesonlee; 04-25-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im collecting everything to rebuild the driveshaft on my S4. GKN Lobro CV joints and a center bearing. After doing all the engine mounts, trans mount, and zero clearance snub, i still have some thunk in the middle to rear of the car it seems like. Im hoping this will solve it.