A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

cylinder 2 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder 2 misfire

98 audi a4 quattro suddenly started shuttering and shaking and has very little power. I can put the pedal to the floor and it barely moves. I was thinking spark plugs or cool pack. But I don't know anything about an audi and there's nobody in my area that know how to work on them. Please Help!!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

which engine? Check engine light on? Pulled any codes? Anything changed recently that might have precipitated this? Fuel fill, loud engine noise, need more info.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea I ran the codes at advanced auto.. it came up as cylinder 2 misfire, temp sensor malfunction, and an audi specific code that they can't read only a dealer can from what they said... and like I said there's nowhere in my area to take it to even run the codes. The check engine light came on and is blinking. The temp sensor I've known about I need a new thermostat. But I'm not sure about the engine.. I don't know much about cars.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I've done nothing new... it just all of the sudden started jolting with a loud noise and very little power.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

This is a pretty basic issue. As you say, spark plug or coil pack are likely, or perhaps the POS unit. Start by swapping the 2 and 3 coils and see if the problem moves. If yes, it's the coil; if no, swap the 2 and 3 plugs. If the problem moves, replace the plugs; if it doesn't, replace the POS.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've called everywhere in the area nobody really will change them.. my uncle is a mechanic but can't get the parts.. is there somewhere online you'd recommend that I could get them delivered from.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still nobody has any idea what engine you have, look at the huge badge on the back of the car, or open the hood and it says in big letters right there, 20V 1.8T or Audi V6. For all we know you have a 1.8T and its just got a bad coil or ignition coil amplifier (sometimes called ignition control module but its really not) Strangly most of the failed Ignition amplifiers that fail seem to fail for cylinder 2. Not really sure why, even my A4's failed a few months ago on cylinder 2. I find it pretty hard to believe not a single shop in your area will work on your car. Its an old Audi not a freaking space ship. Parts can be had at any parts store for these, Napa, Car quest, Autozone, all list coils, amplifiers, injectors, ect for these cars either engine.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 09-05-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is the v6 1.8T. But no there are NO shops whatsoever that work on audis there's one that does vw and I called them. They said depending on what it is but they can't run the codes on it to find out the problem so they would be working blind and aren't even sure if they could fix it.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised they can't run the codes but claim to work on VW's. The A4 from this era shares a whole lot with the VW Passat of the same time. If they can't do codes. Just get a VAGCOM cable from Ebay for $8 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/310651623301?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and use the free RossTech Lite software (Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download) to take a look for yourself. This will spit out all the codes. Then just post them here or google search them. Hopefully someone can help out.

Look at this link to get the right computer drivers and learn how to setup and get codes for the Ebay cable: How to Install VAG-COM Cable on Windows | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Be aware the above referenced cable is pirated or whatever you call it when it is a knock off and not sold or supplied by Ross-Tech. It has is limitations...

If the VW shop is not encouraging you to bring in your Audi. The reason does not matter, they do not want your business. Good seldom results from going to some place that has discouraged your business.

Maybe you could give an idea where you are located. Possibly someone here can suggest a service location.

Your car is either a v6 or a 4 cylinder 1.8 turbo. It cannot be both.

Quick Reply: cylinder 2 misfire