A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I've checked the archives, honest and can't find the answer to my question, oh really, (long))

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-1999, 07:06 PM
keithhr

Default I've checked the archives, honest and can't find the answer to my question, oh really, (long))

Pet peeve of the day, people that start out there message with "i've checked the archives and can't seem to find what i'm looking for". It drives me nuts, first off, i've checked the archives and we all know that there is an enormous amount of information to be had by simply hitting the search button. I have spent hours searching different topics, especially chip questions , and think that a lot of people are just to lazy to do an actual search for themselves and find it would be really convenient for people to simply tell them what they would like to know without actually having to do anything themselves.<br>Not a great day today and saw the above once to often. You don't get bread with one meat ball
Old 04-13-1999, 07:38 PM
RKing

Can't we all just get along?
Old 04-13-1999, 08:29 PM
Andrew C.

Default Pet peeve of the day: The Archive Police...

There are always new opinions and new products. Just because there is stuff in the archives doesn't mean it's always accurate or the most up to date. Or a new forum reader who just might be an expert in something may have a totally new point of view.<p>If you don't want to respond to share your knowledge, that's fine. That's your choice. I've searched the archives for many things and have found it useful. I've also searched the archives and have been unable to get the right "key word" to find what I'm looking for.<p>For questions like "What's the K&N filter number" then Check the FAQ or archives is fine. For questions like "How do you like your K&N Filter" I think saying Check the Archives is premature and shortsighted. <p>Of course, I've just logged on and don't know which specific message you're referring to, but to generalize on this topic is not the correct viewpoint.
Old 04-14-1999, 06:06 AM
Hugh H

Default After an honest HOUR of archive searching, my questions...(99.0 vs 99.5)

(FWIW, I've been on the <rec.scuba> list for over a decade and I also get frustrated by repetitious questions, but it goes with the territory… )<p>OK, my wife's shopping and there's a leftover 99.0 at the local dealer that's being discounted.<p>My question is if the 99.5 is so much profoundly better than the 99.0 that the 99.0 should be passed over, despite the cost differential. <p>I know that this is a YMMV type of question, but since there were product changes, I've been trying to track them down to figure out exactly what they were and how meaningful each one of them are to me.<p>After my archives searching, I finally found this list of the reported changes of the 99.0 vs the 99.5. My questions are interspersed:<p>> 1. New headlights (C5 style)<br>> 2. Foglights moved<p>I know that USA headlights generally blow, but does this change make a meaningful performance difference (improvement) or not?<p>> 3. New tailights<br>> 4. C5 outer door handles<br>> 5. New rear deck lid (Avant)<br>> 6. Washer jets removed from hood<br>> 7.Revides outside mirror shape (both ?)<br>> 8. B-pillar hi-gloss<br>> 9. New CD changer installation as on C5<br>> 10. White side indicators<br>> 11. Aluminum door sill trim<br>> 12 POwer passenger seat + power lumbar for both (2.8 only)<br>> 13.Dampened grab handles<br>> 14. Ambient lighting in headliner for dash and center console (cool)<br>> 15. Iluminated air vent controls<br>> 16. Steering wheel in dashboard color (yuk !)<br>> 17. Revised grille<br>> 18. Revised cupholders<br>> 19. Revised tool kit<br>> 20. Interior/upholstery trim changes (meaning...?)<br>> 21. larger C5 sunroof<p>Sorry, but these all look to be 99% cosmetic, which I don't really care about. So can I ignore these, or were there some KNOWN deficiencies in these that really needed to be fixed?<p><br>Interestingly, what I *DON'T* see is definitive info on the following:<p>- (News): major suspension changes<br>- (News): "sideguard" (head air bag from roof liner) system<br>- (News): "ESP" stability control system<br>- (Thread): wet braking deficiencies<p>These I see as being significant design revisions, but its unclear to me *IF* these things were actually changed and if so, when. <p>Were these (98 into 99) changes or did they occur at some other time, such as (99.0 into 99.5)? Or are they just future plans, such as a (99.50 into 99.51)?<p>Thanks in advance for your comments…<p><br>-hh<p>PS: 1990 Audi 80 for sale soon; just under 100K miles…<p>