Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #21
Account #: 67044

Default But you're a natural born leader.

:-)

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - 'Thomas Jefferson' 1802

TANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #22
Account #: 59717

Default and im impatient

thats why im just gonna buy it now...lol

<sup> ----------[ small sig ]----------</sup>
m4t7h3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #23

Default how long did it take to get your ICElink?

Old 06-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
Account #: 67044

Default 4 days.

Of course it took another 5 past that for the hard mount. The hard mount ships direct from the manufacturer.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - 'Thomas Jefferson' 1802

TANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #25

Default ...damn

Old 06-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #26
Account #: 75706

Default Re: iPod w/ ICE>Link install.

I installed an ICELink in my RS6 last week and am very happy with it also.

I ran the wires back around the gearstick to the phone location under the arm rest - they are *just* long enough to reach there without modification and you can *just* fit the connector through the various holes and under the A/C unit without having to remove anything apart from a few pieces of carbon fibre. Hint: push a scrap piece of wire through first, duct tape the connector to it and then pull it through using the wire.

Space behind the head unit was a problem - there isn't any! I had to remove the silver box off the CD Changer adapter that Denison supplies so I could cram it in around the large bar that runs across inside this space.

Wiring was very easy - unplug a connector, plug in the splice connector, attach a ground wire to the ground wire on the radio using a supplied crimp splice. Done! Didn't need to cut or solder a single wire.

Plugged it all in and got music immediately but none of the controls worked. Then I read the ICELink newsgroup and saw that you need to upgrade the iPOD firmware to the latest version. That fixed the problem.

So now, I have a no-visible-wires, no-holes, no-screws installation of the iPOD, and I'm happy!

** Nice features:
* iPOD comes on and goes off when you select the CDC changer on the head unit as appropriate.
* Listening to a song on the iPOD, press FM, press CD and the song resumes playing right where it was.
* You can skip tracks using the headunit and even fast forward within a song.
* By selecting CD number 6 you can also adjust the levels on the iPOD using the headunit allowing you to get the same volume across your various sources.

** Features that could be improved:
* Well, I'd really like to see the song metadata on the Audi display - if a nav system can do it, why can't someone build an MP3 player that can do it?
* The display shows Track 1->2->3->1->2->3, just so you know that your next track button press has been accepted. Would be nice if it could show you position within the current playlist (modulo 100, of course).
* The display shows 00:00 counting up to 00:09 and then goes back to 00:00 just to show you a song it playing - would be nice if it could show actual position in the song instead.
* Apple should support WMA then I wouldn't have to convert all my music from WMA to AAC.
* Sometimes the ICELink doesn't respond fast enough on power-on and the radio goes back to FM when it should stay on CDC.

** Biggest concern:
* The iPOD appears to charge from the car even when the ignition is off. I worry that left for a long time in an airport parking lot this could drain the battery - though I guess the iPOD would probably get stolen before then since it's in plain view ;-) And, once it's charged I guess it isn't going to suck more current from the car's battery either.

Back at home, iTunes took about 24 hours to create AAC versions of all my music, so now I have *all* my music in the car - more songs than miles!

All I need to do now is to modify the plastic holder that was supplied so that it fits into the Audi phone space (it's too wide right now as it's designed to go on a mount attached to the dashboard).

Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 PM   #27

Default niiice

Old 06-02-2004, 02:30 AM   #28
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 7684

Default Cool

2006 NC MX-5
former:
2003 A4 Avant
2000 A4 several mods
PDXA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 AM   #29
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 7687

Default That's where mine is currently using the belkin adapter and changer adapter.

I didnt feel the need to see what song was on, i just hit the skip button by feel or plugin the remote. Im not sure if I am goint to do it all over again to gain a couple things.
Sold:
1996 Audi A6 Avant (5 years, 155K)
*(Owned, Odometer)
Greyhound Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 AM   #30
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 55673

Default nice tiptronic Ron!

iammatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8