A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Motor smoking after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor smoking after oil change?

I have a 2000 a4 1.8t automatic, and I'm a little stumped as to why my motor has started blowing out blue smoke from the exhaust. The car does have 193k but before everybody chimes in and says the motor is worn out...I've never once seen this car smoke from anywhere. It sat for nearly 3 weeks this past month and I went to start it and it fired up with no problem, no smoke. It never uses any oil between oil changes. However, I changed the oil a few days back, put a new drive shaft in, New flex pipe and cat converter. After changing the oil it smokes every morning when I start it, fairly thick blue smoke. I had my girlfriend follow me and she said it's smoking every time I stop and take off again. Any ideas why this has started? Could the turbo be a possible culprit? I've always taken the best care of my cars, I just can't take *my engine is worn out* for an answer especially since this started the morning after changing my oil.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nah mine has 210k and it uses no oil. What weight oil did you use? This could be the turbo yes. Remove the oxygen sensor and peer inside, is it very oily? Pull a boost pipe, is the intercooler full of oil? The pcv valve could possibly be stuck open and pulling in oil at idle. Otherwise if its not the turbo or breather stuff it would be worn guides or seals. When my turbo was failing I got blue smoke in the morning and if it idled a long time would smoke.

I remember my dad got my sister a plymouth laser, and it didnt smoke at all, he changed the oil, smoked like hell. He added a bottle of the thick NO SMOKE stuff, no more oil burning lol. He would just add that every change, which is probably what the dealer he bought if from did. Just throwing that out there that since you just got the car somebody may have stuffed a bottle of no smoke in and sold it to you.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had car for right around a year now. I've never seen it smoke prior to last week. It has also never used any oil. I drained out about a quart of oil yesterday evening and it brought the oil level down to about 1/2 way up the hash marks on the dipstick. It quit smoking constantly but smoked just a little bit when I first started it up today.