A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Please help! Need advice for 2000 AUDI A4 2.8 QUATTRO AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! Need advice for 2000 AUDI A4 2.8 QUATTRO AWD

I'm considering purchasing a 2000 Audi A4 AWD Quattro with 71,000 miles priced at $4200. I'm a female, have previously owned Nissan's (240sx, Infiniti Q45, Maxima) and don't really know a whole lot about these cars. I did run a car fax which stated the car is worth about 1k above blue book. How this is determined, I don't know? It looks like there regular service performed on the car by the dealer by the first owner during the first 5 years. The second owner whom I'm buying from didn't have it serviced by the dealer so any service done doesn't show up on the car fax. When I test drove the car on the freeway it seemed to run very smoothly. The car is also appears very clean inside and out except for minor things like what I believe to have been the cup holder looked broken/missing. I also observed a small part of the back window seal is kind of coming apart. What I'm most concerned about though is that I could smell a bit of oil coming from the car after exiting the car following the test drive. When I got there the owner had mentioned that he just had the oil pan replaced that week. My friend who was with me said it's possible it could be superficial oil burning off. I do plan on having the car inspected before making a final decision, but would like to know if this was normal or if it's a red flag?

Also, the owner did give me the number to his mechanic who I called and he briefly went over some of the repairs he's done on the car. I plan to go there and review the service records in person. I do know that the timing belt has not been replaced and am unclear about how soon this should be done. I'm reading so many mixed reviews on the car and I just want to make sure I make a well-informed decision as I was screwed in the past when buying a used car and am trying to be wiser this time around. I'm hoping to not have to buy another car for AT LEAST 5 years. I live close to work, but occasionally need to drive 100 miles round trip from Los Angeles to Orange County to visit family. I have low driving demands and drive well below the average per year.

Any insight or expert knowledge about this car would be really helpful and appreciated!

Some Carfax:

12/12/2000 7,500 mile service performed

03/18/2001 Four wheel alignment performed

06/25/2001 15,000 mile service performed

07/30/2001
Tail light assembly replaced
Radio speaker(s) replaced
Front door trim panel replaced/repaired

04/15/2002 10,762k
Recommended maintenance performed Oxygen sensor replaced
Muffler replaced
Engine mount(s) replaced
Turn signal switch replaced Wheel(s) replaced
Rear brake pads replaced Front brake pads replaced Steering wheel replaced

06/14/2002 11,904k
Washer pump replaced
Washer fluid reservoir replaced Headlight washer pump motor replaced

08/29/2002 13,266 Vehicle serviced

11/27/2002
Recommended maintenance performed Washed/detailed
Brake fluid flushed/changed

04/19/2003
Washed/detailed Battery/charging system checked
Battery replaced

05/31/2003
Headlight washer pump motor replaced
Washer fluid reservoir replaced
Wiper(s) replaced
Camshaft position sensor replaced Camshaft(s) replaced/repaired Sunvisor(s) replaced/repaired Radio replaced
Washed/detailed

11/18/2003
Recommended maintenance performed
Rear brake pads replaced

05/11/2004 26,261
Passed emissions inspection

06/23/2004

09/20/2004
Vehicle serviced

02/10/2005

05/24/2005
CV boot(s) replaced

08/24/2005 34,536 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

09/12/2005
Axle seal(s) replaced

09/18/2005 34,731 Service contract issued

09/18/2005 Title issued or updated. New owner reported

05/14/2007 41,458 California Failed emissions inspection Inspection Station
05/14/2007 41,460 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station
12/15/2009 52,903 California Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station

Sorry for the lengthy post but just want to be thorough with providing all available facts!

Please help me!

Thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The timing belt is 15 years old so it's due right now. The oil smell is most likely from leaky valve cover gaskets/cams seals and probably on the passenger side. Your mechanic can do all of that when he does the timing belt, water pump etc.

How does the suspension feel? Once again it's got 15 year old bushings and probably needs some attention.

Make sure it blows hot air when the heater is on. Plugged heater cores are common.

A low mile vehicle that age is rare. Why so low? Ask. 5,000 miles a year?

Set aside some cash for problems/repairs which will no doubt arise.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for your response!

When I spoke with the owner's mechanic he said that besides regular oil changes, the valve cover gasket was replaced/serviced? about 6 months ago and that the brakes were done in 7/2012.

The car belonged the seller's daughter who was a 4.0 over-achiever who has been living out of state attending law school at Harvard.

So is an oil smell normal after installing a new oil pan?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chinkwop
Thanks so much for your response!

When I spoke with the owner's mechanic he said that besides regular oil changes, the valve cover gasket was replaced/serviced? about 6 months ago and that the brakes were done in 7/2012.

The car belonged the seller's daughter who was a 4.0 over-achiever who has been living out of state attending law school at Harvard.

So is an oil smell normal after installing a new oil pan?
Have the mechanic re-do the valve cover gaskets and half moon cam seals. They are still leaking. Burning oil smell comes from oil dripping on hot exhaust which would mean residual oil on the oil pan would have to drip up. Oil burning smell is not normal under any circumstance.

On other thing. Make sure the passenger side footwell is not and has not been wet. Water leaks in through the fresh air intakes and plugged up AC evaporator drains. It will smell of mildew if it has been wet.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The suspension seemed good I guess, at least as far as I could tell from driving it for ten minutes.

There was no mildew smell that I noticed and I know what mildew smells like. There was also no air freshener which might conceal the smell.

His mechanic said the timing belt isn't due until 105,000 miles, but I've read opinions ranging from 70k to 90k is recommended. I'm not sure how knowledgeable this mechanic is in Audi's. The shop is called Purrfect Auto and it's a franchise. He also told me that Audi's are not as expensive or hard to maintain as many believe, and that the cost is similar to a Japanese car. He said these are mostly known to experience electrical problems more than anything and that he hasn't seen any of these issues with this particular one. I don't personally know any mechanics that are Audi experts, but will need one if I decide to buy it.

It seems like a good car, and I'm really very picky. It just worries me that a lot of my friends are advising me otherwise without even seeing the car saying their unreliable, have lots of problems, and are overly expensive money pits to fix. I actually love the older big luxury sedans like the 1994 Q45 I had, but I unfortunately lacked the knowledge to take proper care of it and the injectors went bad. To fix was going to cost more than it was worth and besides that it was a V8 making it very inefficient gas wise. Lesson learned. I'm not sure how much I really love this quite yet, but it does have most of the features I'm looking for and it drove really nice. Parallel parking was a snap. Perhaps that has something to do with AWD?

I'm a total diy type and have been known to figure out how to fix all kinds of things on my own. I just don't want to end up wasting more time, energy and effort than it's worth.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 2.8 is a reliable engine and shouldn't give you any problems. The timing belt interval is based on a 12,000 mile year, I bet, so yours would have been due 6 years ago. It's the age of the rubber that would cause me to do the change now. When you do the timing belt you also do the water pump and thermostat because they both hide behind that belt.

You're going to love driving this Audi. I'd go for it if I were you. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your mechanic is fairly irresponsible if hes recommending that. He should know rubber belts do not last forever, and 7-8 years is what most will say a belt should be done. If you buy the car, full timing belt and water pump service, have them replace the valve covers, chain tensioner gaskets and rear cam plugs if you want it to stop smelling like oil. Too many mechanics that have no idea how the 2.8/2.7 engines are setup just replace valve cover gaskets over and over and wonder why it still leaks from there. Uh duh replace the things that are actually leaking! Cam plugs and chain tensioner gaskets!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chinkwop
I'm not sure how knowledgeable this mechanic is in Audi's. The shop is called Purrfect Auto and it's a franchise. He also told me that Audi's are not as expensive or hard to maintain as many believe, and that the cost is similar to a Japanese car.
Find a new mechanic. One who knows Audis or at the least VWs. Purrfect Auto may be less that perfect with your new car. See Prospeeder's comments. He is right on.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Unless you plan to to do your own work, I'd pass on this car. For the same money (purchase price plus timing belt service) you can get a much newer car. The low miles aren't worth paying for.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm trying to stay within a budget of $5000 give or take. I'm not that concerned with age as I believe that good maintenance is the key to longevity and newer does not always necessarily equate to better. But what do I know. I personally like the way older cars look. What I want:

- luxury sedan
- 4 doors
- leather
- automatic
- heated seats
- moon roof
- woodgrain trim
- V6
- ideally mileage under 125k, give or take

So as we can see, I am pretty picky which limits my options when looking for a car with everything I want. I believe this leaves me looking at BMW, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Jaguar, Saab, Audi, Volvo, VW, or Infiniti. I'm definitely drawn toward the V8's but I don't want to be raped by gas prices so those are out.

I have no problem getting my hands dirty and doing work on it myself, if possible.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Please help! Need advice for 2000 AUDI A4 2.8 QUATTRO AWD