Removing/cleaning your throttle body on the 1.8T--> FAQ w/pics.
1. Remove the electrical connector on the top of the throttle body (red shaded area).
2. Remove the cruise control connection (yellow shaded area). There's a small clip holding the ball in the socket; remove the clip, then free the ball from the socket.
3. Fish out the throttle cable from the plastic housing, as shown by the purple dots.
4. Remove the four (4) 5mm hex bolts holding the TB to the manifold. You can't see one of them in the picture, but the general position is marked with a green arrow.
5. Clean it with TB cleaner.
6. Put it all back together, using a new gasket if possible.
Did it do much? Not really. It wasn't terribly dirty to start, but I figured I'd rule it out as a possible cause of my dipping idle. Doesn't appear that the 1.8T has an idle air control valve, as found on the 2.8s. Instead, there's this mechanism on the opposite side of the throttle cable, that is no doubt computer controlled to adjust the idle as necessary.
As soon as I opened it up, I closed it :-)
That's it. Pretty simple, but I figured I'd put this up as reference if anyone needed to R&R their TB for some reason. Good luck
I didn't figure many people would need this, but since I was doing it I figured might as well whip up a little step-by-step. You're approaching a timing belt change, eh? Doing it yourself or taking it to a shop?
Yeah I think that took care of itself, when I disconnected the electrical connection to the TB. I noticed when I started it back up that the revs stayed high and took a while to settle down to 8-900rpm. Still did it when I took it for a quick drive. Are those the typical "symptoms"? I think I'll have access to a VAG tool tomorrow, can reset it that way right? Thanks
of the need to shut the engine off while fueling ..... In case we never saw one of the federally mandated NO SMOKING / SHUT OFF ENGINE WHILE FUELING signs plastered all over every gas station and pump in the US. Or, missed that note in the Owners Manual .. or the one on the fuel filler door.
I remember being that oblivious but I think the sex/drugs and Rock and Roll were better back then