A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Should I Buy This A4 Avant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy This A4 Avant?

I'm living in Italy for the next 2 years, and I need a car to get my through my time here. Most of my driving will be a 10 minute drive to and from work every weekday, but on weekends I'll be traveling. I found a 2000 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI for $2000 with about 200k miles on it. All electronics work except for the rear wiper, check engine light is not on, has had regular oil changes, cv boot replacement, new tires, and clutch bled. I'm test driving it tomorrow and if it looks good I'd buy it same day.

Is it likely that this car will be a maintenance nightmare, or will it get me through the next 2 years without to many problems?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 97 a4 for 400e in Germany. It was 500 until we figured out it needed a cv boot. You can read the specs a couple posts away.
To be fair, part of why it was so cheap was because the guy was leaving in 2 days for the US.
I had planned to buy a beater immediately, then find a nicer car and sell the beater. However, after getting this car I may just keep it.

See how low you can get them on price. If you can do work yourself as it pops up you'll probably be happy.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

The diesels have their own unique set of issues. Maybe the Italians are better at repairs than those here in the USA. That 2000MY car you're looking at, Mr Baller, might have the ALH engine (or Euro equiv) in it. That's considered the sweet spot for these VAG diesels.

Make sure you have documentation of the timing belt replacement(s). That would be an instant deal-killer for me if that documentation was missing. Very, very expensive when that belt breaks.