A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audifirst
If your car came originally without center LCD , you can swap the cluster with LCD however in order to change menus you need to buy new wiper arm with switch and wiring and add wires between the cluster and wiper arm

you will need the wiper control arm that has a switch at the end wiper arm to change menus on center LCD

for 1998 to 2001.5 Cluster 2, and Cluster 3
Part# 4D0 953 503 B (sedan)

There are 3/4 sets of wires required for wiper arm control harness plug and for the instrument cluster harness plug for the Grey Connector on
Cluster 3, and red connector of Cluster 2 , black connector on cluster 1

I recommend to buy wires from Audi/VW dealer

On cluster 2
You need to insert wires into red 20 pin connector on instrument cluster and to 6 pin harness plug on the wiper arm
Red connector Pin 11 to wiper arm pin 1
Red connector Pin 14 to wiper arm pin 3
Red connector Pin 18 to wiper arm pin 4
Pin 2 on the wiper arm is ground
Pins 5, 6 are not used
Just today I did the swap from a no-lCD cluster to one with an LCD. Here's what I did:

-added a wire between the longer ECU connector, pin 17 (yellow wire), to pin 1 on the RED instrument cluster connector
-grounded pins 9, 16, 19 on the RED instrument cluster connector since I don't need bulb out warnings or low washer fluid warning (this worked)

I quoted the above text because the wiring listed for the wiper arm is WRONG. It doesn't match the wiring diagram in the Bentley either. On the 6-pin wiper arm connector, here is how the wires go:
-Pin 1: goes to pin 18 on RED connector
-Pin 2: goes to pin 14 on RED connector
-Pin 3: goes to ground, I just made a short segment and connected it to the wire coming off Pin 5
-Pin 4: goes to Pin 11 on RED connector
-Pin 5: ground for the intermittent wiper selector on top of the wiper arm
-Pin 6: feedback wire for position of the intermittent wiper selector

For people who have a no-LCD cluster, pins 5 and 6 on the wiper arm will already exist, and they are supposed to exist while using the LCD cluster too. They should not be removed.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is good that you corrected, I pulled the information from Bentley from the CD I have perhaps the information I got was from 96/97 I went through all wiring if you don't mind I will use that information to correct my post..
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Please do! I just re-read my last post, and realize it comes off a bit harsh... not my intention so I apologize.

And I want to note something about the Fuel Consumption signal: the AEB wiring harness actually has the (yellow) wire for to connect to the instrument cluster, regardless of whether or not the car came with DIS (LCD display). The difference is in the cluster wiring; at the connectors called "electronics box in plenum chamber", which is the group of connectors at the bottom-back of the ECU box, the brown/tan connector, pin 3 there is no mating connector to go to the instrument cluster (in cars that don't have a LCD screen). So I snipped the yellow wire from the ECU-side mating connector, and lengthened the wire to pin 1 on the RED connector to the instrument cluster.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Instrument Cluster's LCD

Hello,

I'm new here at this site.

Just bought 2000 A4 1.8 - I have an issue with the instrument cluster: the center LCD (information display panel) is very very dim I can hardly see anything. Is this an easy fix? may be a light bulb change? or do I have to get the whole instrument cluster out for rebuild? How do I remove the cluster? I have removed cluster from BMW before but this is my first Audi. Any tip is greatly appreciated.

ManN
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrmanmn
Hello,

I'm new here at this site.

Just bought 2000 A4 1.8 - I have an issue with the instrument cluster: the center LCD (information display panel) is very very dim I can hardly see anything. Is this an easy fix? may be a light bulb change? or do I have to get the whole instrument cluster out for rebuild? How do I remove the cluster? I have removed cluster from BMW before but this is my first Audi. Any tip is greatly appreciated.

ManN
on the cluster turn the right **** around it controls your dimmer , so you can make dimmer or brighter
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mid year 98 Cluster

My car was built in 06/98 but the car still has cluster #1. I have to take it out to change a bulb, I was looking for something which shows dissassembly of the cluster itself. I saw the video which showed on an A6 having to have the key on for 25 munutes to reset once the cluster was reinstalled, and I am wondering if anyone knows whether that it the same for the B5 A4.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Iguana6699
My car was built in 06/98 but the car still has cluster #1. I have to take it out to change a bulb, I was looking for something which shows dissassembly of the cluster itself. I saw the video which showed on an A6 having to have the key on for 25 munutes to reset once the cluster was reinstalled, and I am wondering if anyone knows whether that it the same for the B5 A4.

if you are in USA/Canada none of the B5 came with immobilizer only in Europe it was done
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 1998.5

This thread was most helpful. Got the cluster in and out in less than an hour. My 1998/06 did have the #2 cluster, but fuel gauge and temerature gauge were as cluster #1 (perhaps changed over time). No problem with reseting anything. I just put it back in and drove off.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I have a question im hoping you might know the answer to.

I want to connect a rb4 b6 cluster to a obd2 reader on a test bench...do you know what pins on the rb4 need to be connected to power up the cluster and communicate with obd2.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chad99
Hi I have a question im hoping you might know the answer to.

I want to connect a rb4 b6 cluster to a obd2 reader on a test bench...do you know what pins on the rb4 need to be connected to power up the cluster and communicate with obd2.

Thanks!
Why are you wanting to run a scan on a cluster on a bench? A little confused about that. I have access to lots of scrap yards (and am collecting Audi parts)..I was thinking of stock piling Audi clusters, but would need to know how to test them...not sure about OBD. Isn't is simply to read from car's computer?

Quick Reply: Understanding differences between Audi A4 clusters and the compatibility issues