A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

034 Motorsports Screws the Pooch on my A4 Cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 034 Motorsports Screws the Pooch on my A4 Cat

I had heard good things about the 034 Motorsports high flow cat so I ordered one for my '03 B6 1.8 MT. As everyone knows, changing the cat is a PITA so I did the job while the axles were out for replacement. Much easier.

The cat inlet and outlets fit fine and the hardware kit was good. The problem was the rear O2 bung is too low on the pipe so it basically points at the transaxle case instead of over the case like it's supposed to. The sensor can't even be reinstalled because there isn't enough room between the cat and transaxle. Obviously the company had sent me the wrong cat. Putting the old cat back in wasn't an option at that point so the only thing I could do was plug the bung until a solution was found. Needless to say I was pissed.

When I contacted the company about the problem, sent pictures and requested they send me a cat with the rear bung in the correct location, their response was to offer a right angle adapter for the O2 sensor. I told them I paid full price for a cat that was supposed to fit correctly. Not something that didn't quite fit right and needed an additional adapter. That wasn't what they advertised.

Long story short, after never getting a logical answer of why they didn't send the correct cat, or even an apology, I gave them an option of using the adapter if they refunded part of what I paid for the cat as compensation for all the BS their mistake has put me through. A few days later the adapter shows up. No explanation, no correspondence, no partial refund.

The cat itself looks really good but when a company doesn't step up and take care of its customers when it screws up their order, it makes me seriously question the rest of their operation.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubelwagen
I had heard good things about the 034 Motorsports high flow cat so I ordered one for my '03 B6 1.8 MT. As everyone knows, changing the cat is a PITA so I did the job while the axles were out for replacement. Much easier.

The cat inlet and outlets fit fine and the hardware kit was good. The problem was the rear O2 bung is too low on the pipe so it basically points at the transaxle case instead of over the case like it's supposed to. The sensor can't even be reinstalled because there isn't enough room between the cat and transaxle. Obviously the company had sent me the wrong cat. Putting the old cat back in wasn't an option at that point so the only thing I could do was plug the bung until a solution was found. Needless to say I was pissed.

When I contacted the company about the problem, sent pictures and requested they send me a cat with the rear bung in the correct location, their response was to offer a right angle adapter for the O2 sensor. I told them I paid full price for a cat that was supposed to fit correctly. Not something that didn't quite fit right and needed an additional adapter. That wasn't what they advertised.

Long story short, after never getting a logical answer of why they didn't send the correct cat, or even an apology, I gave them an option of using the adapter if they refunded part of what I paid for the cat as compensation for all the BS their mistake has put me through. A few days later the adapter shows up. No explanation, no correspondence, no partial refund.

The cat itself looks really good but when a company doesn't step up and take care of its customers when it screws up their order, it makes me seriously question the rest of their operation.
Sounds like you wrote my story! i had the exact experience but with eurocode tuning (they said it was my fault some how and that I was an idiot until I sent many detailed pictures - but no apology when they were wrong), and with APR that sold me bad software and cost me several thousand in replacing perfectly good parts until they finally figured out they wrote the software wrong (had several problems with APR)... that's the aftermarket for you; hit or miss, though no issues with 034 for me.