A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

ABS wheel speed sensor fault / G47 00283

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS wheel speed sensor fault / G47 00283

After searching around for fixes I found multiple sources (including Bently) that say when you have this fault:

00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

To replace the ABS speed sensor and it would repair the problem. Well I did so and it still hasn't fixed it. The speed sensor came with the full wiring loom and grommet which attach inside the wheel well, and I bought 2. Neither fix the problem. The wiring looks to be in good shape, but I can't see anything behind the firewall.

Anyone have any suggestions. The light came on after my GF drove the car and now I have no idea what is wrong. At first I thought it was just a loose cable/connection (because the light would go off for a day or two then come back on), but now It's been on for a good week or two. Does anyone have any tips or solutions?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, I tried to clear the codes with VAG-COM and the code IMMEDIATELY returns, whether the sensor is plugged in or not.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bump? Anyone? The rainy season is upon us and I still have no ABS or TC. There is only one part that can go bad, which has been replaced with a new part... sooo... any help?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DDMan
Bump? Anyone? The rainy season is upon us and I still have no ABS or TC. There is only one part that can go bad, which has been replaced with a new part... sooo... any help?
I went searching to see what I could find for you DDMan here on AW and came up with one thread that may be of help:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2382694

It dates back to 2008, but kgiessler mentioned in his post dated 21 July 2008 that if anyone needs help to ask him.

Sorry, it's the best I can do for you .

Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Was this ever resolved? I've been plagued with this very same issue. I have been asking for help on another forum, and someone suggested I come to Audi World as they are very helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Possible fix

Had same problem. Which ever side your getting code on take that wheel off pull the sensor out and spin the axle while looking in slot for sensor could poss be a bent tone ring or even broken. Will need new axel don't know if just the ring can be changed
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dwynell83
Had same problem. Which ever side your getting code on take that wheel off pull the sensor out and spin the axle while looking in slot for sensor could poss be a bent tone ring or even broken. Will need new axel don't know if just the ring can be changed
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to give this a look.

Did you have the brake pad sensor warning as well? After I put the new abs sensors, my brake pad ((o)) light warning came on, and I cant clear it. I tried looping them and I still got the error, So I bought new pads so I could get the new sensors, but the error will not go away.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know for me it's still a problem....

I replaced the sensors with genuine Audi ones and it's still just the driver's side. I can plug in the brand new sensor when stationary, clear the codes and it still pops right back up. Money has been too tight to send in the ABS control box (everything still works, it's just a pain to remove), so I've just left it. Figure once I know I'm gonna have the $200 or so to get it repaired I will try it but until then I still have the ABS light.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DDMan
I know for me it's still a problem....

I replaced the sensors with genuine Audi ones and it's still just the driver's side. I can plug in the brand new sensor when stationary, clear the codes and it still pops right back up. Money has been too tight to send in the ABS control box (everything still works, it's just a pain to remove), so I've just left it. Figure once I know I'm gonna have the $200 or so to get it repaired I will try it but until then I still have the ABS light.
How did you determine it is the ABS control module?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipDesigns
How did you determine it is the ABS control module?
It's the only thing really left. There is the sensor, wires, and then the control module. The wires are safely tucked in the fender and there's been no damage to the fender and no stress/pulling on the wires that I can see. Unless there are other things I'm missing and the Bently manual doesn't know about... The ABS control module is all that's left.

Quick Reply: ABS wheel speed sensor fault / G47 00283