A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Acquired 04 A4 3.0 Quattro that needs some work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acquired 04 A4 3.0 Quattro that needs some work

Hi everyone,

New Audi owner here. I currently own an 06 G35 Coupe that I've done a lot of DIY work on. I also fixed up an Volvo S70 for my sister to use at college, I acquired this car from my future in-laws for the winter. It was an awesome car to own during this winter I do have to say. But, I have noticed a few things and wondering if anyone can give me some other advice as what to look for.

Car has ~186K miles on it.

I bought a timing belt kit and it failed inspection due to the ball joints on the lower control arms. I decided to replace all the control arms and I'm awaiting for parts from FCP.

The instrument gauge temperature sensor is also intermittently working, so I ordered a new "green" sensor. The ESP light also randomly comes on sometimes and only goes off if I turn the car on/off. I bought a new parking brake switch, since I read that can cause it.

I replaced the brake fluid about two or three months ago and will be changing the coolant when I do the timing belt.

When I accelerate I've noticed the rear passenger tire makes a thumping noise like a flat would make or as if the tire isn't making contact wit the ground. It goes away after a few seconds could this be the rear shocks?

I also changed the oil and had a weird experience with the Mobil 1 filter I purchased. It was smaller then the "Parts-Master" I replaced. It would leak and not seal against the engine block correctly, so I had to replace it with a "Mann Filter" that was larger and fit correctly. Has anyone else had this problem with a Mobil 1 filter on the 3.0 V6 engine?

I was planning on doing the power steering fluid and the ATF as well, but getting under a running car kind of scares me, lol. I've always done the "drain and refill" with much success on the Volvo and G35.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 3.0 L V6 myself and never have trouble with the Mobil 1 filter. Also at that mileage don't do the ATF.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't have the 3.0, but never had issues with the Mobil 1 filter back when I used them; I use Mann filters now.

Also, why not replace the ATF?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi JF do you happen to know the part number of the Mobil 1 you used? Just so I can double check if I was given the correct part.

You think the tranny would start slipping if I put brand new fluid in it?

I just did the passenger side control arms and it took me a total of 8 hours (just need to tighten underload and then move to driver)! Man those things were on there tight as hell. The front control arm ball joint bolt broke when I was using a ball joint separator. It popped off the rear one without issue, I ended up having to use my propane torch and 3lb mini sledge hammer. The pinch bolt caused a slight problem, but with some heat it came out. This is the most I've used a propane torch before, lol.

Also, what's your average MPG with this beast? I'm getting around 16/17 MPG if I'm lucky, lol.

I'm pretty sure it's still on the stock struts/shocks as well, since that annoying ring was still under the housing. I'm not sure if I want to replace those just yet.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Filter # is M1-204, for the ATF all mechanic will tell you that if it's have never been change at that mileage don't touch it. With ATF you got two choices 1- replace it at recommended manufacturer mileage/time or 2- Never touch it.
Regards
PS For MPG, honestly never check it, just fill will premium gas and have fun.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JF1957
Also at that mileage don't do the ATF.
This is terrible advice. Definatly change the transmission fluid. I would not hesitate. I have changed them with nearly 200k on orignal fluid and filter and they perform great, no issues. Leaving the garbage fluid in is just going to wear it out faster and faster. Changing the fluid will not hurt a thing, its people who wait till its banging and slipping try to change it, the trans takes a total dump, and somehow its changing the fluids fault not the fact they abused the hell out of it for 200k never changing the fluid. I have changed hundreds of these transmissions fluid, and yet to have a single one have a failure or issue later.

Drop the pan, change the filter, clean the magnets and pan. I like to use valvoline maxlife atf.