A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

audi a4 automatic transmission shifting hard into drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi a4 automatic transmission shifting hard into drive

Hello everyone, So I just bought a 2003 audi a4 1.8t wagon. When I test drove it I noticed no problems with the shifting. I really wish I would have played around with the shifting a bit more because after I drove the car home I went from park to drive and noticed that it shifted hard into drive. The car jolts a bit. All other gears or working fine. Seems to shift smoothly into every gear without stall or jerking. It's only from park to drive where I am having this issue. I am kicking myself in the *** for not paying more attention to this before making the purchase as I am now worried I may be looking at costly transmission repairs or possibly replacement :/

My questions:

1. Could this possibly be an issue that could be resolved with a tranny flush?

2.Is there a way to check the tranny fluid? (I read that this is a sealed tranny and there is no need to check fluid as it is lifetime fluid)

3. If this does sound like an inevitable tranny failure then roughly how long do I have till it goes out? (I know that's not an easy question to answer so just a rough estimate would be awesome)

4. Lastly, if anybody has a good idea of what this issue is, then roughly what is the cost for labor to repair transmission? I'm hoping to pull transmission myself and reinstall after it is fixed so that labor can be excluded

Thanks!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh forgot to mention. Check engine light is on. But diagnostic test didn't pull any codes....
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

What code reader did you use? Any standard reader should read CEL codes.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had AutoZone run it with one of their readers
Old 02-08-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

UPDATE: I've also noticed the hard shift happens the lights for the PRNDS lights become highlighted, however car continues to run fine (so I'm guessing car is not going into limp mode)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting that the CEL is on. Anyway, the PRNDL lights are telling you it is a transmission issue. You will have to get a VAGCOM reader to read Audi specific codes and go from there. May be a simple solenoid valve.