A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi security kicking in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi security kicking in?

Sometimes at a gate I stop my Audi and get out taking the key with me . When I get back in it just refuses to start . The starter turns fine but no go on the motor not even a hint of firing . I have to lock it and walk away for a couple of minutes and then come back ,unlock it and it starts almost normally but I have to depress the pedal a bit .

I think it reckons I did not pay enough money for it when I bought it and it thinks I must have stolen it !

It seems to me it is the immobiliser as it normally gives no starting problems whatever. When I do get it restarted I can smell excess petrol but that would be normal if its been injecting fuel but not sparking it .

I have a Vag-Com diagnostics program but there is no access to the immobiliser section.
Does anybody have any experience or suggestions with this ?

Last edited by tytower; 09-24-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you tried VAGCOM after it starts? If there is an intermittent communication / hardware issue, it will only intermittently communicate with he immobilizer module.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know if it is the immobiliser the car will start for 2 seconds and then shut off and there is a symbol on the dash (a key I think) that will flash.

When I had a hard/no start problem it was the Engine Speed Sensor but it sounds like you have a rich mixture problem.

Since you have Vag-Com are there any fault codes?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks both
There are no engine faults that I have seen on the Vag-Com but I have not had it connected during this problem so I will try that before and after it starts. I did not notice a key flashing but will look out for that too. I keep my laptop in the car anyway atm.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naconi
As far as I know if it is the immobiliser the car will start for 2 seconds and then shut off and there is a symbol on the dash (a key I think) that will flash.

When I had a hard/no start problem it was the Engine Speed Sensor but it sounds like you have a rich mixture problem.

Since you have Vag-Com are there any fault codes?
Naconi is correct, if you were having issues with your immobilizer your car would still start, but immedietly die a few seconds later followed by a flashing key(?) symbol.

Hook your vag-com up even if your CEL light is not illuminated because there are probably codes in there!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes happened again today and no key symbol or initial start or check engine warning lights . Had OK on it .
Lots of petrol smell and left for a few hours this time and would not start normally even then - had to hold accelerator down to 50% to get it to fire. fewchugs at first and gradually came up to normally controlled revs so I'm convinced its flooding.
Too much happening at the time to muck about with Vag-Com but will get it next time