A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

DIY: solving the "crap, my goddamn wipers are stuck in the middle of the windshield" problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the exact same repair on my vehicle (even the bearing grease). Unfortunately the problem came back 1 year later, and was not repairable. Had to replace the linkage. I blame all the salt they throw in the winter...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The new wiper control arms revision has much improved weather protection with a tight fitting seal cup over the wiper shaft pivots, to prevent road salts and rain from dripping down into the pivot bearing area.

Replace the part with the new one, and be done with it.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knocking on wood, my repair has held up for over a year now.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wipers at High Noon

Our Audi dealer quoted my wife $1,000 to repair the wipers.
I followed the instructions (almost exactly) and was able to free up the seized linkage. My wipers are working fine and the motors seem strong, however now my wipers are at 12 o'clock when in the park position. Is there any way to correct this.

Originally Posted by lashb1
I changed my a4 windshield wiper transmission and now the windshield wipers stop 1/2 way on the windshield in the park position. The wipers work though except for that problem. Did I not reinstall the transmission and motor combo correctly? It seems that something is off angle wise, adjustment of transmission, or motor or something. When I installed the transmission I don't think the system was in the park position even though I thought it was. After taking everything back off again (it's still in the car) I can see that when I now put the system in park, the center connection with the ball is turned to the driver side instead of pointing towards the passenger side. Can I fix this problem by just loosening up the center bolt and turn the center connection with the ball 3/4 to the left towards the passenger side which is the park position? That seems to easy. But would it work or do I have to take everything out again?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All of this is covered in the DIY that I put together here...
http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2234

The bottom line is, YES, you need to re-index the motor before putting the wiper armature arm on the motor spline, and you also need to index the individual wiper arms into their rest positions at this same position.

The DIY explains it all in great detail.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Old Baldy
All of this is covered in the DIY that I put together here...
http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2234

The bottom line is, YES, you need to re-index the motor before putting the wiper armature arm on the motor spline, and you also need to index the individual wiper arms into their rest positions at this same position.

The DIY explains it all in great detail.

I know it's a very old thread but RESPECT where it's due!
It saved me my a lot of $ and headache.

Thank you!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had to make an account just to say thank you! I knew what needed to be done but without this tutorial I wouldn't have trusted it was possible. 2 1/2 frustrating hours later, much money was saved. Thank you so much for the awesome walkthrough!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default THANK YOU SIR!

Thank YOU! This thread is one of the best tutorials on a car i've seen.
Let me just point out, that i'm an IT-guy (22), who sometimes loves to take a screwdriver and repair something.
My car, A4 2005 had the 'sticky wipers' problem, and just yesterday, the wipers froze in the middle of a windshield for about 4 seconds. In that time, i couldn't do anything. So i decided to take it a part and clean it. Thanks to your awesome thread i managed to do it in 3,5h including cigarette breaks. I only got to use some ordinary tools which can be found in every home. The linkage in the middle of the windshield (right side one?) was so rusty, that i couldn't move it with my hands. To think, that the engine still managed to work got me thinking that this little engine must have some serious horsepower .
When removing one of the wipers, i noticed that there was one thing missing. Te rubber-ish washer between linkage and wiper, which is supposed to keep the water and dirt away. And that's why it got so bad. The other one was fine.
I love how detailed you thread was. "(there is an c-clip, a flat washer, and an o-ring, make sure you remove the c-clip and don't lose the o-ring)" . And that was exactly how it was.
It wasn't so hard to do and if even I can do it, then any other guy with a little bit of knowledge about cars will be able to solve it.
So again, Thank You and keep up the good (the Best) work!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

piece by manually moving the linkage arms. For ex. placing the wipers back on and moving them to the "12 o'clock" position on the windshield.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gongj
piece by manually moving the linkage arms. For ex. placing the wipers back on and moving them to the "12 o'clock" position on the windshield.

Quick Reply: DIY: solving the "crap, my goddamn wipers are stuck in the middle of the windshield" problem