A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Help Identifying Leak - 2002 A4 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Roughly where does it drip?

Also found a thread on AZ that indicates OEM tranny fluid is not red and a little discussion of common leak points.

Trans fluid leak
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for position that link, it almost seems like we might be having the same problem but I'm not a member over there.

The fluid is coming from the passenger side near the transmission. I posted a picture above, its definitely dripping from above that and pouring down that cooler looking thing with the fins.

I'm usually much better with cars, but this is the first all wheel drive car, and audi i've had to deal with, so far this car is a huge pain in the butt!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bumped that thread you posted and also found this:

Leaking Gear oil near passenger front wheel?

anyone ever replace that seal? Is it easy?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Many years ago I replaced a seal on my rear differential (driver's side drive axle). Replacing the seal itself wasn't too difficult, but getting the axle out of the way so you could get to the seal, and then reinstalling the axle was time consuming.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Steamboat
Many years ago I replaced a seal on my rear differential (driver's side drive axle). Replacing the seal itself wasn't too difficult, but getting the axle out of the way so you could get to the seal, and then reinstalling the axle was time consuming.
I've been watching videos, doesn't look too bad. I'll need to go buy some tools.

Does anyone know the size of the hex bolt that holds the axle to the wheel? I think its 17mm. did you use a seal driver to get the new seal back in? how did you refill the gear oil?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone have a good picture of where the fill/drain port is for the axle flange seal? I'm making sure I don't need that special audi triple square tool that is mentioned several times in transmission fluid changes.

Last edited by mach30sir; 02-01-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have any pictures, but the fill port is on the passenger side and the drain port is on the bottom, towards the front of the diff IIRC. The drain port should be easy to see anytime and the fill port should be easy to see once you take the passenger side drive axle heat shield off.

A standard hex head socket is all you need to get the fill and drain plugs out. I forget the size of the hex head needed - either 8mm or 10mm - probably 10mm.

To fill the differential, I bought a hand pump that fit on the bottle(s) of gear oil I bought. I don't think there is an easy or clean way you can pour the gear oil from a bottle into the fill port.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have any pictures, but the fill port is on the passenger side and the drain port is on the bottom, towards the front of the diff IIRC. The drain port should be easy to see anytime and the fill port should be easy to see once you take the passenger side drive axle heat shield off.

A standard hex head socket is all you need to get the fill and drain plugs out. I forget the size of the hex head needed - either 8mm or 10mm - probably 10mm.

To fill the differential, I bought a hand pump that fit on the bottle(s) of gear oil I bought. I don't think there is an easy or clean way you can pour the gear oil from a bottle into the fill port.
Perfect, thanks! Do you remember how you sucked out the oil from the diff before removing the flange? I don't want the oil to mix with the Transmission fluid thats mentioned on other boards.

I purchased a pump much like the one you mentioned to get the gear oil back in.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

mach30sir, to be clear, I replaced a drive axle seal on my rear diff, so the info I've posted is about the rear diff. To drain my rear diff I just removed the fill plug then removed the drain plug and let the gear oil flow out into a plastic pan (the same pan I use when changing my motor oil).
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

mach30sir, to be clear, I replaced a drive axle seal on my rear diff, so the info I've posted is about the rear diff. To drain my rear diff I just removed the fill plug then removed the drain plug and let the gear oil flow out into a plastic pan (the same pan I use when changing my motor oil).

Thanks man,

I got the axle out today. Does anyone know if the front diff only has a fail port? I have a pump and a hose I can use to stick inside this hex bolt on the right if that is the only fill/drain port.

Quick Reply: Help Identifying Leak - 2002 A4 3.0