A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

a4 tfsi problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, you never mention the exact year and model of your A4. If this is my A4, I will open everything up to the head cover and do a top dead center check: align the crank-shaft TDI mark, cam-shaft TDI mark, etc.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch "A4 2.0tfsi p0011" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/saL78vbdVK4

Cleared code and been of for 5 days but still a deffinate rattle see video what everyone think
Old 05-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to guess at the cost of looking like a fool but there is a good chance that the original problem which caused the oil starvation issue is still there. The way the tensioner works is oil is pumped into it at various pressures depending on the demand of the engine for cam timing. The oil pushes out on 2 pistons which have plastic cam chain guides on them thus tightening and slacking the chain ever so slightly to change the cam timing. When there is a loss of pressure for whatever reason they collapse on themselves and cause a rattle. There is a good chance that the oil strainer was cleaned up and maybe some engine flush ran through the car, oil changed and called good enough. A small chuck of whatever clogged the strainer in the first place may have been bouncing around the engine and finally found just the right spot to get stuck in to cause a slight loss of oil pressure to the tensioner causing it to slack back up and cause a timing issue. Honestly its a crap shoot. By the time you are done getting to the bottom of this you may spend just about as much as it would cost to have a junk yard motor put in it, or it could be just as simple as one more good engine flush. Rattles indicate loose stuff or lack of proper lubrication, in this case just because this has happened before it may be happening again. The garage may not be fully at fault here, they did the work, it seemed to have corrected the issue. If we drove every car we fix for a week we would be out of business because nothing would ever get finished. I'd start trying to chase down an oil issue.