A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Balance Shaft Timing 2.0tfsi

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Shaft Timing 2.0tfsi

I need help to setup the correct timing of the balance shaft unit.
I have just replaced the sprocket that drives the balance shaft on a 2.0tfsi after it self-destructed, breaking the chain and the tensioner. I cannot find any markings on the balance shaft to set up the correct timing between it and the crankshaft.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

I hope someone could give the answer to your question.

Could you describe the symptoms of self-destructed sprocket?

I think something related might have happened to my car as well.
I was accelerating on higher rpm and suddenly oil pressure warning light blinked once and showed the warning and there was a noise coming from under the hood which felt it came from some sprocket, chain or tensioner. I pulled off the road and had the car towed home. Did turn on the engine once at home, it was idling normal, no oil pressure warning, just that same loud sound.

How much work is to check the chain? Can it be done without a lift before taking it to shop (for potential balance shaft/oil pump unit replacement)?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hey did you ever find how to align the shafts cause i have the same problem thanks
Old 03-09-2021, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the intermediate sprocket first set of teeth (back closest to block) you will see a spot where there will be 2 dots imprinted next to each other. Well right above that, on the balance shaft sprocket, you will have a spot where 1 spot is imprinted. Turn the bottom (intermediate sprocket clockwise roughly 8-12 turns (actually forgot #) until the top dot lands in between the bottom two. Just pay attention on every turn but it should be somewhat of an estimate on amount of turns, either way just pay attention. BTW, you are more than welcome to color in the dots with a paint marker or nail polish to make it easier to spot them. So out of those 3 possible sets of teeth on the right side, remember intermediate sprocket has 2 sets, you have one left and that is the furthest away from the block. This set of teeth will have a dot as well and if you glance over to the left (exhaust) balance shaft's sprocket, it too will have an imprinted dot. The way the left (exhaust balance shaft's sits because of its weight is almost where you'll need it when you grab your chain and fit it. The chain will have 2 colored links (NOT next to each other). Place one link to match up and line up directly above the left (exhaust) sprocket and do the same on the Intake side. Turn the gear as necessary to line up the dot to the chain but DO NOT get the original back set of dots out of sync with each other. The chain should be rather loose between dots. Now slap on your chain guides, new washer for tensioner and tighten it up. I believe the chain guides call for 14 NM and the tensioner calls for 65 NM, tell me if I'm wrongs. You now have your balance shaft's in time.