A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

I have a 2009 A4 Quattro and Fri I noticed she was hesitating to get up (accelerate), however no lights came on, she sounded fine.. I parked her for the night and on Sat when I went I started her up the check engine light came on ... I noticed again she was working hard (idling b/w 2-3) when transitioning from the brake to the gas ... Later that the day I attempted to start her and she hesitated ..now I am about 300 miles out for svc and I have 72297 miles on her.. I am set for an appt tomorrow however I want some type of idea of what it may be.. I know longer have my reader but with so many experienced owners/mechanics etc here, I was hoping to get some insight..

Thank you so much**

Donna
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No much to go on by your description. I assume 'sounding fine' means usual amount of power when driving which indicates the engine is good, but 'hesitating to accelerate' and 'Idling b/w 2-3' could be a host of issues but usually are ignition, fuel or vacuum related. If you are trying to diagnose it yourself without a code scan start with the basic visual inspections:
Are all the coils seated on the spark plugs - give them a push. if one moves its not seating correctly on the plug.
Check each of the coils are plugged in firmly to the wiring plug
Check the cam position sensor is firmly plugged in
check for any vacuum hoses that are loose or falling off - start the engine, keeping your digits away from the spinning accessory belt, give the vacuum hoses a wiggle at the connection points (lots of them), if the idle changes, you have a tear or leak.
Check the main air hoses from the turbo back are still tight and the pipes are not cracked.

failing all of the above, you need to get a scan which will start to direct you to a more serious problem or get the basic service done.

Spark plugs - pull out the spark plugs, clean or replace, check the coil for discolouration before reinstalling and confirm the electrical plug clicks back into the coil.
Fuel filter - Have you filled up from somewhere other than the usual fuel places? could it just be some dirty fuel? If so, could be a dirty filter.
Air filter - Next is the air intake, take out the air filter, if it's really, really dirty chances are the MAF sensor is also dirty. You can disconnect them and spray with CRC special cleaner.