A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Turbo installed incorrectly? (Naperville, IL) Might need a referral/recomm

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo installed incorrectly? (Naperville, IL) Might need a referral/recomm

I had a turbo go when I was in Florida over the summer (oil pump was dying and turbo died due to oil starvation, two shops told me). The first shop installed the turbo and did so over the course of FIVE days after they started work on the car. I already know that's way too long for a turbo install and I already know these jokers didn't have a clue (they also punched a hole in my Rear Main and the owner is being difficult so I may have to sue him). Moving on.... I stopped by a local shop that works on race cars here in Chicago and he said I have an exhaust leak (he pointed to the dirty metal line next to the turbo, next to the ?manifold? I think he said). The guy had a full sized Semi Trailer in his shop so I have no reason to not believe him; he seems like a pro and had many high end cars at/in his shop.

My main issue at the moment is the original work in FL was done by a Meineke shop and the turbo replacement was a Re-Man turbo which had a warranty. The main concern I have is letting another Meineke work on my car after the s***show that happened in Florida. I contacted a location in Naperville and the initial tech I spoke to was more knowledgeable than the lead tech at the FL location, that and the local shop actually owned a mechanical oil pressure gauge (the FL one didn't and tried to tell me I needed a new engine based solely on my low oil pressure light). Suffice it to say, I'm very gun shy but I need my car functioning properly and after spending over 8k this summer on a re-man turbo, oil pump (ouchy, very expensive), main bearings and a new rear main (that was the fault of the first shop) and some other maintenance while the tranny/engine (forgot which they took out) was out... I'm really trying to avoid dumping the car in the next few months netting a massive loss (less than had I dumped it after the new turbo didn't fix it).

If I can get my boost issue fixed by the other Meineke shop (whether it's this Naperville location I spoke to or another with a sufficiently skilled mechanic on staff (looking for suggestions here, if anyone has one) under the warranty, I can breathe a little easier. I'm trying to understand how the turbo connects to my car a bit better. If anyone has any pics of a turbo attached to our engine while not inside the car, that'd really be helpful as it's hard to make sense of things when I'm looking at a tiny angle of my turbo from the top while it's sitting in my car.