A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2009 A4 Avant trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 A4 Avant trailer wiring

New question. I have a 2009 Audi A4 Avant. It may be an early build, it does not have LED tail lights.
Has anyone successfully added trailer light wiring to this particular model? I don't think CURT C56201 is the correct one, it is described as PWM converter.
I can figure out how to install a universal converter if I get word that it has been done safely. (ie Nothing blew up)
Nick
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by niclaw
New question. I have a 2009 Audi A4 Avant. It may be an early build, it does not have LED tail lights.
Has anyone successfully added trailer light wiring to this particular model? I don't think CURT C56201 is the correct one, it is described as PWM converter.
I can figure out how to install a universal converter if I get word that it has been done safely. (ie Nothing blew up)
Nick
I installed the Curt hitch and the 56201 connector on my 2011 and you do need the PWM version. I also ordered the 55151 Wiring Kit.
FYI, Avants in North America did not ship with LED tail lights.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info
Old 06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got the hitch mounted, next time it will be easier. Did you happen to make note of wirng colors and tap points when you wired 56201?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the hitch mounted, next time it will be easier. Did you happen to make note of wirng colors and tap points when you wired 56201?
Thanks
As I recall it was the left turn/ brake circuit is grey with black stripe; right turn/ brake is black with green stripe. I spliced where the harness exits the tail light housing.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tekonsha TCI trailer wiring option--no splicing!

Nick

Spent a lot of time on these forums and elsewhere looking for a good solution to the complex fun of wiring for the multiplexed systems. Had the Curt hitch put on my 2011 A4 Avant (B8). Waited to get the lights/wiring. Local great hitch place suggested the Tekonsha ZCI, which I'd never heard of. Just had it installed. Works great. And NO SPLICING REQUIRED. NONE.

Instead of splicing into the system, the connectors clip OVER the tail light wires. And the sensors in them detect the electrical pulses to the turn/brake lights, then activate the corresponding trailer lights through the 4-flat connector. The power converter fits in the left cargo compartment, and I just coiled and tucked the 4-flat connector/wire in that left side compartment out of the way when it's not needed. No warranty issues or need to re-code anything. If you don't want it at some point in the future, fairly easy to remove--with no damage to existing wires.

It does have a powered converter; so, whoever installs it will still need to run the power wire to the battery. And there is a fuse to manage any potential surge issues.

Now, this also presumably means there's no activating of "trailer mode," if it's even an option for your car/the dealer even knows what that is, how to do it. Mine has never done it on an A4.

And this Tekonsha TCI platform does not seem to have a 7-pin option for electric trailer brakes. I don't plan on towing at the weight limit. I'll usually just have a bike rack or something small; so, it's not a big concern for my needs. But I will ask about upgraded radiators/etc if I do decide to pull something larger.

Overall, this could be a great, simple, safe option for a lot of people.