A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
You ARE kidding, right?

4 oz. is 1/8 of a quart. Yes, one-eighth of a quart, used in 5000 miles, in a new engine.

At that rate, the car would consume one quart in 40,000 miles.

That is NOT an oil consumption issue.

What it is, is negligible.
OK you drank the cool aid. All cars do not use oil and yes 4 oz. is consumption. I have 3 cars and a truck and none of them use any oil between their 5000 mile oil change. I bet there are a bunch of others on this site who have cars that use 0 oil. I suggest you are seeing the tip of the ice berg here . Lets see what your usage rate is after 30,000 miles. Here is another way to look at it , how much oil consumption are you willing to live with. Audi use to publish 1 quart in 1200 miles is considered within spec. Is that OK with you ? I have 30K on my Lexus and 10K on my Jag and neither uses a drop that is measurable on the stick or the electronic measurement system. My kid is living with 1 quart every 2800 miles in the 09 A4 but is willing to live with it because they like the car. I wish you luck with yours.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ARE kidding, right?

4 oz. is 1/8 of a quart. Yes, one-eighth of a quart, used in 5000 miles, in a new engine.
At that rate, the car would consume one quart in 40,000 miles.
That is NOT an oil consumption issue.
What it is, is negligible.

Agree with you 100%.
While we haven't heard back from jorgquat, I trust he is getting a better feeling about all this. Oil consumption with the new machines, actually probably since 2013, would not appear to be a problem.
In my case (2015 A4 2.0) I'm 100% certain that it won't be.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Montfort
Agree with you 100%.
While we haven't heard back from jorgquat, I trust he is getting a better feeling about all this. Oil consumption with the new machines, actually probably since 2013, would not appear to be a problem.
In my case (2015 A4 2.0) I'm 100% certain that it won't be.
I don't doubt that there are some A4's that don't burn oil but there also is no data to show how big a problem this has been and still is. If it weren't a problem then there would not have been a class action suit or Audi would not have had a "consumption test" developed to try to fix the problem. Once again there is no data as to whether the fix had stopped the problem. This appears to be a sensitive issue but let the facts determine the results. My only point is that it is not normal to use oil within the oil change window of 5000 miles. If I pay $30-$40K for a new car I would not expect to see any usage in 5000 miles. Enjoy the ride
Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
My only point is that it is not normal to use oil within the oil change window of 5000 miles. If I pay $30-$40K for a new car I would not expect to see any usage in 5000 miles. Enjoy the ride
All cars burn some oil. Turbo charged cars burn more oil than naturally aspirated. Have you owned a turbo-ed car before?

I burned 1/8 quart in 5000 miles in my 2014. That is normal. I was burning a quart every 3000 in my 2011 - that was not right. Audi had a huge problem. They fixed it.

If you want a safe car, don't buy German.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK you drank the cool aid. All cars do not use oil and yes 4 oz. is consumption. I have 3 cars and a truck and none of them use any oil between their 5000 mile oil change. I bet there are a bunch of others on this site who have cars that use 0 oil. I suggest you are seeing the tip of the ice berg here . Lets see what your usage rate is after 30,000 miles. Here is another way to look at it , how much oil consumption are you willing to live with. Audi use to publish 1 quart in 1200 miles is considered within spec. Is that OK with you ? I have 30K on my Lexus and 10K on my Jag and neither uses a drop that is measurable on the stick or the electronic measurement system. My kid is living with 1 quart every 2800 miles in the 09 A4 but is willing to live with it because they like the car. I wish you luck with yours.
What am I willing to live with? For me, 4 oz over 5000 miles is an absolute non-issue - in reality, it wouldn't require even topping up. The variation between hot and cold engine would be more than 4 oz.

I've owned BMW's for 18 years and none of them consumed any oil.

Neither my current BMW nor my Porsche use oil.

Even with that history, I'm more than comfortable with 4 oz over 5000 miles. That level of consumption simply doesn't matter; I can't understand why it would, absent an obsession with 'zero' oil consumption.

I've not drunk any Kool-Aid. And my engine isn't drinking oil - hell, it isn't even sipping it.

Incidentally, if I were driving a Jag, any Jag, I'd have much more to worry about than oil use. And if I were driving a Lexus, well, I just hope it doesn't come to that... If 4 oz of oil consumption over 5000 miles is the price of driving a car, rather than riding in one, I'm good with that.

I'm not knocking you choices. Rather, I'm trying to explain that, for me, when oil consumption is 8 oz per year of driving, many, many other considerations become far more important. And, obviously, if reliability is the most important consideration, then none of the German cars will be at the top of the list, and your Lexus may well be.

To each his own.

Last edited by roger_1; 12-04-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What am I willing to live with? For me, 4 oz over 5000 miles is an absolute non-issue - in reality, it wouldn't require even topping up. The variation between hot and cold engine would be more than 4 oz.

I've owned BMW's for 18 years and none of them consumed any oil.

Neither my current BMW nor my Porsche use oil.

Even with that history, I'm more than comfortable with 4 oz over 5000 miles. That level of consumption simply doesn't matter; I can't understand why it would, absent an obsession with 'zero' oil consumption.

I've not drunk any Kool-Aid. And my engine isn't drinking oil - hell, it isn't even sipping it.

Incidentally, if I were driving a Jag, any Jag, I'd have much more to worry about than oil use. And if I were driving a Lexus, well, I just hope it doesn't come to that... If 4 oz of oil consumption over 5000 miles is the price of driving a car, rather than riding in one, I'm good with that.

I'm not knocking you choices. Rather, I'm trying to explain that, for me, when oil consumption is 8 oz per year of driving, many, many other considerations become far more important. And, obviously, if reliability is the most important consideration, then none of the German cars will be at the top of the list, and your Lexus may well be.

To each his own.
Once you plug emotion into the conversation the facts get washed away. Enjoy your ride.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you plug emotion into the conversation the facts get washed away. Enjoy your ride.
I couldn't agree more.

"drunk the Kool-Aid" and "what are you willing to live with?" (to which I responded) moved us away from facts, and into subjective evaluations.

Enjoy your rides.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expect most of you are too young to remember when anything less than a quart/1000 miles was considered 'not using any oil.'
Old 12-06-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCowboy
I expect most of you are too young to remember when anything less than a quart/1000 miles was considered 'not using any oil.'

A-men!

And welcome aboard, Cowboy!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OldCowboy
I remember but didn't consider it normal. My father bought a 1953 Ford brand new with the new OHV V8. During break in it would burn a quart in a hundred miles. He was pissed as the 49 DeSoto he traded in went 2500 on a quart. He kept the Ford for a few years and it never got better the 1500 miles on a quart. Traded it in for a 58 Pontiac Sky Chief with a straight eight. That one did 1/2 quart at 3000 miles. My 1st car was a 1960 Triumph TR3A and until it hit 75K miles it would make it to my 3000 mile oil change only using about 1/4 quart as I recall. Then again gas was 25 cents a gallon and oil was really cheap. But then again I didn't make to much money then either.

Quick Reply: 2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?