A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50 years ago I purchased an E-type Jag (XKE) and still have it. The owner's manual stated expected oil consumption to be one imperial gallon in 1200 miles i.e., one imperial quart (40 oz) every 200 miles. I usually managed worse...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Montfort
50 years ago I purchased an E-type Jag (XKE) and still have it. The owner's manual stated expected oil consumption to be one imperial gallon in 1200 miles i.e., one imperial quart (40 oz) every 200 miles. I usually managed worse...
Regarded by many as the most beautiful car ever built.

For that, one can, understandably, make a few concessions.

May you continue to enjoy it, for many years to come.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you. If any interest check out XKE Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar E-Type - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register and enter VIN number 888765 - top left of home page. Apologies for getting way off topic.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 66 E-Type coupe and it was great. Loved the design and its performance. Unfortunately it ended up rusting out here in the NE. As for oil consumption it was hard to tell due to the oil leakage (controlled seepage). To me Jaguar always had a classic design but until Ford took them over their reliability was always the issue. Being I worked on all of my cars this made them very affordable to me . My present XKR convert follows the lines and the 510HP is a thrill to drive. More impressive then my previous Ferrari. Enjoy the ride.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you. If any interest check out XKE Data - Keeping track of every Jaguar E-Type - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register and enter VIN number 888765 - top left of home page. Apologies for getting way off topic.
My cousin has a garage queen that he restored before he died. Someday his brother is going to get it running again and by then it will be worth a bundle.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
My cousin has a garage queen that he restored before he died. Someday his brother is going to get it running again and by then it will be worth a bundle.

Perhaps, if not done already by your cousin, his brother could consider registering the machine on xkedata.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting the link, Dave. Yours is a gorgeous example. Well done!

R
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the replies. I like the mentioning of an E-type Jag, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

I'll watch the oil level closely throughout the first 5000 miles and will probably not do anything special for the break-in, and just follow the manual.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jorgquat
Thanks for all the replies. I like the mentioning of an E-type Jag, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

I'll watch the oil level closely throughout the first 5000 miles and will probably not do anything special for the break-in, and just follow the manual.
And you'll be fine. Enjoy your terrific car!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jorgquat
Hi, I'm new to the Audi brand. Just bought a 2015 A4 PP. Is the oil consumption issue still a concern with this model year engine? I heard this issue may have been addressed…if so, what did Audi do? New piston ring material or design?

Thanks for the help.

Now for most controversial issue: soft break-in or hard break-in? Maybe I should flip a coin
I've only got 700 miles on my 2015, but no discernible oil use thus far.

I'm a fan of "drive it like you stole it" for break-in, once the engine oil has warmed up. I've had great success on 4 performance autos using this technique - my last was a 2004 1.8T Jetta GLI that ran like a scalded dog upon request, but still returned 27 MPG around town, with no oil consumption between changes. Traded it in after 11 years and 150,000 miles with almost no maintenance required during that time (1 set of brakes, 1 battery, oil changes at 15,000 miles using full synthetic, tire changes and 1 timing belt replacement). I've also used the technique on several motorcycles with great success.

I think it's likely that the oil consumption gremlin has been tamed.

Quick Reply: 2015 A4 2.0T, oil consumption concerns?