A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

A4 Buying Advice -Teen Driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since I lived with mine for 4 years and 50K miles, let me know if you have any other 3.2 engine questions. I'd be happy to answer them for you if I can.
I'm not the OP but I've come across an '09 P+ with the 3.2 for $23k due to some minor hail damage that I can have fixed for $150-$300.

It sounds like the 2.0T takes premium gas. I assume that the naturally aspirated 3.2 does not?

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the 3.2 was 'tried and true' or something to that effect. Can you elaborate on that a little?

If this is indeed such a good find, I'm very fortunate because I'm forced into buying because my previous car was officially declared a total just this morning. My wife came across this A4 within an hour of getting the news.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car is eligible to be CPO'd by the dealer and while it might cost more, it would extend the warranty out an additional 2 years or 100K miles. A really good idea on any used Audi.
One more question.. Could you elaborate on the 'eligible to be CPO'd' statement? Would this be possible with a car bought at a non-Audi dealer?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceballOne
I'm not the OP but I've come across an '09 P+ with the 3.2 for $23k due to some minor hail damage that I can have fixed for $150-$300.

It sounds like the 2.0T takes premium gas. I assume that the naturally aspirated 3.2 does not?

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the 3.2 was 'tried and true' or something to that effect. Can you elaborate on that a little?

If this is indeed such a good find, I'm very fortunate because I'm forced into buying because my previous car was officially declared a total just this morning. My wife came across this A4 within an hour of getting the news.
Audi recommends premium 91 US octane fuel for all their performance engines. The 3.2 is no exception.

What I meant by "tried and true" is that the 3.2 engine has been in production over many years with many Audi models. There have been no oil consumption issues as reported by some with the 2.0t and no turbos to be concerned about. While the gas mileage is less (about 3-4 mpg), the engine, IMO, is much smoother and sounds better than the 2.0t. In 2009 the 3.2 had 265 hp vs 211 hp with the 2.0t (although the 2.0t had greater torque). 0-60 in the 2009 3.2 A4 was 6.2 seconds vs 6.7. Audi discontinued the 3.2 in 2010 for the A4, probably due to placing a wider differential to the S4.

How many miles on the 09 A4 3.2? Trim and options? A year ago I received $25K for my 50K mile '09 3.2 Prestige w/Nav and B&O trade in which was about par then for wholseale. Retail was about $29-30K.

Get it checked out by an Audi dealer before you commit.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One more question.. Could you elaborate on the 'eligible to be CPO'd' statement? Would this be possible with a car bought at a non-Audi dealer?
Only an Audi dealer can CPO a car. It usually adds about $2500 or so to the cost. (Dealer pays AOA about $1200-1500). I don't think you can CPO a car through an Audi dealer if purchased elsewhere. Check with the Audi dealer when yu have it inpsected before purchasing the car.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for posting in two threads, but another option has presented itself.. A 2008 CPO A6 3.2 with 50k on it through the Audi dealer. Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry for posting in two threads, but another option has presented itself.. A 2008 CPO A6 3.2 with 50k on it through the Audi dealer. Thoughts?
Two completely different cars. First, you have to decide which model will best suit your needs, otherwise there's too many variables.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Two completely different cars. First, you have to decide which model will best suit your needs, otherwise there's too many variables.
Both would fit my needs just fine. I want an AWD vehicle because I live in Minnesota where we have bad snow and ice storms. I live in the Twin Cities, but there are times where I have to travel to remote areas for work, and my house is up a bit of a hill. AWD pretty much limits me to BMW, Benz, Audi, Volvo or Subaru.

I don't like the 'status symbol' aspect of BMW and Benz, and I can't see myself in a Subaru. That leaves me with Audi or Volvo, and from reading here, I'm honestly a little spooked on Audi. I found posts here with like 50 items that someone had go wrong with their 2008 A6 before it reached 100k.

The A6 obviously felt like a much nicer car, and all things being equal I would of course go with it. But it's a year older, and has 13k more miles. However it is CPO. Additionally, are there reliability and maintenance issues that the A6 has that the A4 doesn't, or vice-versa?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Forums are not a good place to necessarily make an assessment about a car's actual service worthiness. For every complaint or issue discussed there are many, many more owners who don't participate who have had none of the problems you'll see here. Even among us folks who report issues, it would be pretty unusual for any one of us to have a small percentage of those "50 items". I would bet that 95% of the AW members wouldn't give up their Audi for any other brand. I'm on my fourth and while I can't honestly say I've never had an issue (no different from my previous 35+ cars and many brands), you would have to pry my '13 A6 C7 from my cold, dead hands.

I seriously doubt you could determine if an A4 has more or less issues than an A6 or vice versa. Generally, I would classify the A4 as a "sports sedan" and the A6 as a "luxury sedan". While both offer high performance handling and refinement in their respective classses, the A6 will be larger and more comfortable and the A4 will be lighter on its feet and more sport oriented. Again, I think you;re trying to compare an apple with an orange (2009 A4 3.2 to a 2008 A6 3.2 with more mileage). While both are terrific cars, the 09 A4 B8 will be faster, more nimble and a later generation design incorporating newer technology than the '08 A6 C6 (whose latest C7 design was intro'd in 2012). Tough choice that only you can make. Especially with two used cars that need to be evaluated as individuals.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased a 2008 audi a4 2.0T for my first car with the money I have earned from my summer jobs. I absolutely love my car and it is absurdly fun to drive. Even though it is several years old now I still feel like a boss rolling around in it knowing I bought it with my own money. I know that you are looking at models from 2009-2012 but it is still safe/o.k. to get a 2008 model in my opinion. All relatively recent Audi models have excellent safety and reliability. I highly recommend going through with buying an Audi because they are really fun to drive and look badass (if you haven't already; I assume you have from the date). I would recommend getting a manual transmission model if you manage to find one like I did, much more fun to whip. Strong word of advice though, be able/ready to pay through the nose each time you take it to get serviced. This is where having a used Audi gets very expensive. Luckily my parents are willing to help me out with the upkeep otherwise I would have to sell it. Stuff starts to go wrong like clockwork almost and it seems like every time I bring it in they have to replace/fix something. Your service bill after having to order the parts and pay for labor can easily run you 1-2k. If the service/upkeep costs isn't a deterrent and problem I recommend your purchase. Hope this helps.