A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

I received in the mail today a notice of a class action lawsuit against VW Group of America for 2009-2010 Audi vehicles that used excessive or improper amounts of engine oil.

It states that vehicle owners who paid out of pocket for a "Service Adjustment" pertaining to the oil usage will be reimbursed. It also says that owners who did not previously receive a Service Adjustment, may have the Service Adjustment performed, free of charge, as long as you submit documentary proof of compliance with the oil and filter maintenance requirements set forth in the owner's manual.

For the last year and a half -- after my warranty expired -- I have been changing my own oil and filter, with the same frequency that the dealership did (actually, more frequently). I ordered my oil and filters online. If I print out copies of my online orders, will they be acceptable as proof that I changed my oil and filters?

Also, what "Service Adjustment" will be performed? New seals? New rings? etc.

I'm sure my dealership is going to give me a tough time about this, because I didn't have my oil changes done at the dealership. Meanwhile, I did complain to the dealership about excessive oil usage by my car about two years ago, but I never followed up on it because my car was using a quart of oil every 1,200 miles, and I was told that was "acceptable."

Anyway, I will be curious to see how others of you fare. I hope you guys post your experiences. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Service Adjustment

I found the answer to one of my questions, thanks to a previous post:

http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf

Last edited by A4Driver; 01-31-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea weather Audi would honor this if I wasn't the original owner? I just bought a 2010 A4 but the dealer I bought it from had no service records. is it possible they could look into how the car was serviced another way?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got mine in also. Just bought this car 3 months ago. the guy i bought it from was pretty consistant on the oil changes
Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ccoaston
Just got mine in also. Just bought this car 3 months ago. the guy i bought it from was pretty consistant on the oil changes
I do my own and document the oil changes with photos - receipts, instrument display, used filter, spent oil etc., all with a (then current) newspaper in the photo.

With the benefit of that, Porsche gave me a new engine, $20k+, fully covered under warranty.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wish I could be that consistent. kiddos to you bud
Old 02-01-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ccoaston
I wish I could be that consistent. kiddos to you bud
With the cost of a potential replacement engine at stake, developing a routine wasn't so hard, and taking the photographs might add an extra 5 minutes to the oil change.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad I saw this thread. I was just going to post something to find out what's up since I too received this Oil Consumption letter. I bought my Audi after my lease and had my maintenance done as it should be, but when it needed oil in between service visits, I didn't think much of it and just bought the oil I needed to get me by until my next visit. I grew up on older cars and adding oil was between changes wasn't a big deal. In the form they mention a 'Service Adjustment' and ask for paperwork for this. What are they referring to? I don't run to the dealer for a little oil. Are they looking for paperwork if you run to the dealership when the oil light comes on? I just bought 2 quarts about a month ago and added 1/2 qt. back then and now my oil light comes on again yesterday for the 2nd time and I do under 10k a year…..I open my mail today and see this letter. I never thought much of the oil consumption between service visits until now. Is it worth responding to this lawsuit? Is it legit?

Last edited by trlyka; 02-06-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just to to your dealership and tell them you need to add oil between the changes and they will do the service adjustment for you.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Just to to your dealership and tell them you need to add oil between the changes and they will do the service adjustment for you.
What is a service adjustment? I'm not going to the dealership for them to do something I can do. The cost for a quart of oil is not worth my time to go there. Or is this a necessary evil that needs to be done in order to be part of the settlement?

Quick Reply: Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use