A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2010 audi a4 in February 2013 with 44k miles. It was already burning a lot of oil but was still had 11 months or about 5,000 miles of original warranty left. I went to volkswagen, porsche, audi of Fresno and the service manager explained to me that the oil consumption was normal because it was a high performance engine, emission standards required the engine to run hotter, it had direct injection, and also because it had to achieve high mileage. After this explanation they refused to run tests on my car and nothing is documented because that place is now closed and changed location to Audi of Fresno. I went over the 50k mile warranty and it was burning a quart of oil about every 700 miles. In June 2014 I had about 74k miles and I payed about 400$ for phase 1 at Audi of Fresno and the service manager assured me that phase 1 fixed 99% of the cars with that issue. On April 8th 2015, car is burning 1quart/500 miles!, I Googled audi b8 oil consumption. I found out that there was a settlement on January 28 that I was never informed about! I visited Audi of Fresno, car had about 85k miles, and they didn't help me in fact both service representatives suggested I sell the car so somebody else could deal with it or sell it to carmax. I called audi of America and the representative was very rude and not helpful at all. What should I do now?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Li7
AudiWorld Member

I have an Audi A4 2009 2.0T with 59k miles and while i havent had much issues with oil i do usually have to use about a quart and a half every 10k miles. I also notice some oil on the edges of the engine gasket, and i did receive the paperwork about the lawsuit but i dont know if its worth trying to get something from the dealers. Any suggestions or advice?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Li7
I have an Audi A4 2009 2.0T with 59k miles and while i havent had much issues with oil i do usually have to use about a quart and a half every 10k miles. I also notice some oil on the edges of the engine gasket, and i did receive the paperwork about the lawsuit but i dont know if its worth trying to get something from the dealers. Any suggestions or advice?
If you were getting between 1000-1500 miles per quart I would suggest you see a dealer. Considering you are getting over 5000 miles on a quart a dealer would tell you that you don't have a problem.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default heading back to the dealer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If you were getting between 1000-1500 miles per quart I would suggest you see a dealer. Considering you are getting over 5000 miles on a quart a dealer would tell you that you don't have a problem.
I had my engine redone after failing test 1 and then test 2. I own a 09 A4 2.0 and at 55,133 they put in new pistons. What I didn't understand was they didn't replace the rings. I have rebuilt quite a few engines and once you pull out the pistons you don't reuse them well apparently they do. So after almost 2 months I checked the MMI and in 600 miles I have gone thru 3/4 of a qt of oil. So I will be anxious to see what they are planning on next. I have seen other people that have had engines replaced after test 2. So I will keep you updated on the status.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Were can I get information on the VINs covered by the class action? I'm shopping for a CPO A4 and would like to minimize the chances of future problems.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Diogenes
Were can I get information on the VINs covered by the class action? I'm shopping for a CPO A4 and would like to minimize the chances of future problems.
They are not going by VINS to determine what engines that have the problem. They are actually going by engine codes which is the code stamped on the engine block. From my understanding its engine code CAEB.that has the problem. I hope this helps you out.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a 2009 A4 with the 2.0T about two weeks ago. It has 137xxx miles on it, is there a mileage limit?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi ring and piston replacement lawsuit.

[QUOTE=bigboy1185;24741205]I bought a 2009 A4 with the 2.0T about two weeks ago. It has 137xxx miles on it, is there a mileage limit?[/QUOTE

Google the law suit and see what the exact details are. My 2010 A4 had about 67000 miles on it. But you may get lucky if they will do a consumption test with more miles. All you can do is ask the dealer what the procedure is. Don't fall for all kinds of extra testing read the lawsuit.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by srjustice
I bought my 2010 audi a4 in February 2013 with 44k miles. It was already burning a lot of oil but was still had 11 months or about 5,000 miles of original warranty left. I went to volkswagen, porsche, audi of Fresno and the service manager explained to me that the oil consumption was normal because it was a high performance engine, emission standards required the engine to run hotter, it had direct injection, and also because it had to achieve high mileage. After this explanation they refused to run tests on my car and nothing is documented because that place is now closed and changed location to Audi of Fresno. I went over the 50k mile warranty and it was burning a quart of oil about every 700 miles. In June 2014 I had about 74k miles and I payed about 400$ for phase 1 at Audi of Fresno and the service manager assured me that phase 1 fixed 99% of the cars with that issue. On April 8th 2015, car is burning 1quart/500 miles!, I Googled audi b8 oil consumption. I found out that there was a settlement on January 28 that I was never informed about! I visited Audi of Fresno, car had about 85k miles, and they didn't help me in fact both service representatives suggested I sell the car so somebody else could deal with it or sell it to carmax. I called audi of America and the representative was very rude and not helpful at all. What should I do now?
Print the lawsuit and go into the dealer with it and maybe a letter from your family attorney, anything to make them move. Call the next level Audi of America person and don't give up. They did pistons and rings on mine in March, 2015 at Audi of Charleston SC and I am down maybe a quarter of a quart since then.. I am very bad about keeping track of the mileage when they completed the work. Sorry, on Vaca now and will check paperwork to give you the actual mileage I have gone since the work was done. One detail was I was down a half quart or so in 750 miles and they did the work. They also don't measure by liquid ounces, They actually weigh the oil in grams.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dropped the car off this morning, and just told them I had the low oil light coming on, I wanted to see how they handled it. I received a phone call today telling me they were wrapping up stage one and running an oil consumption test. He said to bring it back by when the oil light came back on and they would move on to stage two or three, depending on the test results, and that everything should be covered under an extended warranty (stage one was). He also said Audi spec is .3 of a quart in 1000 miles. The customer service so far been exceptional incase anyone is needing any help in the east Tennessee area, Harper has been top notch.

Quick Reply: Audi Class Action Lawsuit for excessive oil use