Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 189763
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 200
Default B8 2.0T oil filter

I don't need to do an oil change yet but was interested to know if the B8 inverted oil filter has a standpipe design. I'm familiar with my inverted Ferrari filters which have a standpipe to retain at least 1/2 of the filter's capacity but wanted to know if the 2.0T has the same design. Also is there a need to perforate the top of the filter so it fully drains prior to removing it? And last does any oil come out of the filter when you remove it if you let it drain for a few minutes. Just wondering.
jagtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
jfo
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 195249
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Whistler- British Columbia
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
I don't need to do an oil change yet but was interested to know if the B8 inverted oil filter has a standpipe design. I'm familiar with my inverted Ferrari filters which have a standpipe to retain at least 1/2 of the filter's capacity but wanted to know if the 2.0T has the same design. Also is there a need to perforate the top of the filter so it fully drains prior to removing it? And last does any oil come out of the filter when you remove it if you let it drain for a few minutes. Just wondering.
1. Standpipe...don't think so.
2. No need to perforate filter.
3. It will come off clean. Just lift it straight off and have a rag/paper towel to catch any drips.
__________________
Jim
2011 A4 Avant
jfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 159797
 
Warren_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 31
Default

If you do it right, you won't spill a drop. Not messy at all, easy DIY. The hardest part of the job is removing the dozen or so screws for the splash shield. Get a dipstick so you can physically check the oil instead of just relying on the console readout.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2011 A4 Avant, S-line, prestige, side assist, Dunlops...monza silver.
Warren_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
Account #: 1391
 
A4Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,114
Default Can somebody confirm the oil filter part number?

The photo of your oil filter shows the number: 06J 115 561 B

But the photo of the filter box shows the number: 061 115 403 C

Are these both valid numbers for the 2.0T engine? Did you buy the correct filter?

Thanks.
.
.
.
__________________

Now:
2009
Premium Plus, 2.0T, Quattro, Tip, Sport, Deep Sea Blue Pearl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then:
2002 3.0, Sport, Quattro, Manual, Denim Blue Pearl
1996 2.8 Quattro,
Manual, Emerald Mica
A4Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 189763
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_S View Post
If you do it right, you won't spill a drop. Not messy at all, easy DIY. The hardest part of the job is removing the dozen or so screws for the splash shield. Get a dipstick so you can physically check the oil instead of just relying on the console readout.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks for the photo's. I already purchased the dip stick and found that the dealer put in about a quart to much. When I did the oil readout on the MMI after it showed the full graph a note came on saying "please drain some oil" . When I checked with the dip stick it read about a quart over. I pumped out a quart and now it is just above the full mark. I am surprised that the filter does not have a stand pipe to retain some oil during start up. I would think the germans would be smart enough to do this or at least have an anti drain back valve. I am in the process of getting a oil extractor system. Even though I have a lift I find the design of the Audi plastic belly pan is a PITA during a oil change. I see a few cars (Jaguar) are no longer using a drain plug for oil and are using the vacuum oil extractors instead. Makes it simple for cars with top oil filters. OK thanks for the info.
jagtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 159797
 
Warren_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Driver View Post
The photo of your oil filter shows the number: 06J 115 561 B

But the photo of the filter box shows the number: 061 115 403 C

Are these both valid numbers for the 2.0T engine? Did you buy the correct filter?
Yeah, it's strange that the suffix part number on the label is different than the part number stamped on the filter, but that's how it came out from the box. I bought it from http://www.genuineaudiparts.com and specified my make, model and year. It's the right part.

Here is a photo of my original factory installed filter on the left and the new one on the right. As you can see, they both have identical part numbers stamped on the filter itself, but the new one had the box label with a different suffix.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2011 A4 Avant, S-line, prestige, side assist, Dunlops...monza silver.
Warren_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 159797
 
Warren_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagtoes View Post
Thanks for the photo's. I already purchased the dip stick and found that the dealer put in about a quart to much. When I did the oil readout on the MMI after it showed the full graph a note came on saying "please drain some oil" . When I checked with the dip stick it read about a quart over. I pumped out a quart and now it is just above the full mark. I am surprised that the filter does not have a stand pipe to retain some oil during start up. I would think the germans would be smart enough to do this or at least have an anti drain back valve. I am in the process of getting a oil extractor system. Even though I have a lift I find the design of the Audi plastic belly pan is a PITA during a oil change. I see a few cars (Jaguar) are no longer using a drain plug for oil and are using the vacuum oil extractors instead. Makes it simple for cars with top oil filters. OK thanks for the info.
You're welcome! Yes, others have mentioned about using an oil extractor through the dipstick tube. That will make the oil changing a lot easier for sure.
__________________
2011 A4 Avant, S-line, prestige, side assist, Dunlops...monza silver.
Warren_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 163579
 
UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,491
Default

I'm installing a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve during my oil change this weekend.
That will save time, and possible stripping of the oil plug/pan threads.

I bought the last set of 3 of oil filters from Amazon
__________________
Tschüß!
Šave
_________________________________________________
'10 Brilliant Black A4 Sline • Hüper Optik • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • Hankook V12's • ST-40 BBK
Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Meisterwerk STS
Wish List: PSS10's • New Wheels • ECodes
UmIsThisThingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
Account #: 1391
 
A4Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,114
Default Extractors are the way to go

On my previous Audis, I had to jack up the front of the car, get on my back and unfasten about a dozen screws holding the belly pan on. Then, after draining the oil, I had to reverse the process. It was a real pain, to say the least.

Using an extractor, I just insert the tube in the dipstick hole, pump the unit to create a vacuum, and go in the house and have a beer. When I come back, I change the filter, fill up the crankcase, and I'm done. I don't even get my clothes dirty in the process.

It's the only way to go.
.
.
.
__________________

Now:
2009
Premium Plus, 2.0T, Quattro, Tip, Sport, Deep Sea Blue Pearl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then:
2002 3.0, Sport, Quattro, Manual, Denim Blue Pearl
1996 2.8 Quattro,
Manual, Emerald Mica
A4Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Audiworld Basic Sponsor
Account #: 207873
 
ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,450
Default

We are your one stop shop for oil service kits!

We have standard and premium kits available!

Click HERE to order or for more information.


Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
__________________

Have questions need answers now Live Chat! 8:00am to 11:00pm EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST
Reach our Sales Team from 8:00 to 11:00 EST
800.924.5172
Tell us how we're doing! <-- Click!
Facebook | YouTube
OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing - Price shop us!
ECS Tuning-Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
20, 2009, 2010, 20t, a4, audi, b8, change, code, date, diesel, filter, genuine, info, location, oil


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community