A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Cargo Cover Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avant Cargo Cover Latch?

I just bought a 2011 Avant, but it came with the owner's manual for the sedan, so I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I can't figure out how to get the main body of the cargo cover to latch into place and stay. I can set it down with its ends in the two pockets, but it seems as though it's too short for the overall width of the car, so there's nothing to hold it in and it pops out constantly.

On each end of the main body there are two "posts" which project about 1/2", but this isn't long enough to engage with the matching holes in the pockets. There's a rotating lever on the passenger end of the body and it seems to work, retracting the two posts on that end, but mine is very easily removable without retracting them.

It's almost as if the cargo cover belongs on a different model.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Last edited by wolfcj; 08-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfcj
I just bought a 2011 Avant, but it came with the owner's manual for the sedan, so I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I can't figure out how to get the main body of the cargo cover to latch into place and stay. I can set it down with its ends in the two pockets, but it seems as though it's too short for the overall width of the car, so there's nothing to hold it in and it pops out constantly.

On each end of the main body there are two "posts" which project about 1/2", but this isn't long enough to engage with the matching holes in the pockets. There's a rotating lever on the passenger end of the body and it seems to work, retracting the two posts on that end, but mine is very easily removable without retracting them.

It's almost as if the cargo cover belongs on a different model.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
Make sure you push down firmly on the side with the release lever(passenger) to engage the latch. When you push the release lever to remove it, the latch tabs stay in the withdrawn position.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually the cover fits so loosely in the "pockets" that no amount of pushing down will pop the latch posts out, because the release button on the bottom of the cover doesn't engage with the "knuckle" at the bottom of the pocket that is supposed to make it release.

However, I can (and have) popped out the latch posts manually by pressing on the bottom button while I have the whole assembly out of the car, so the mechanism seems to work.

Once the posts are popped out to their engagement position while the unit is out of the car, I can still reinstall the whole assembly into its pockets with a little clearance to spare without retracting the posts. That should give you an idea of how poorly it fits.

In doing a web search, I found:
2009 Audi A4 Avant Long-Term Road Test - Cargo Space
which seems to describe the same problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine locks in place fine. I seldom use it however and it sits in my garage. Perhaps a small wedge on the driver side would take up the slack.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a stuppid question, but are you sure you have it orientated correctly? I usually have to turn it around (swap end to end), as I forget which way it was sitting when I took it out. It fits if in backwards, but it's loose.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I mentioned in my message that "There's a rotating lever on the passenger end of the body" and Jim's reply confirmed that is the correct orientation.

A wedge might work. I'm also considering some adhesive Velcro.