A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

"Crystal Ball" opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Crystal Ball" opinions

Hello, I'm looking to switch from Lexus to Audi. A few things that I'd like Audi fan's opinions on. As I've owned three different Lexus models in the last 12 years, reliability/low incident of repair has been my experience. It appears that Audi's 4 cyl turbo hasn't been a subject of frequent repairs as well as A4 and A6 models in general. I usually buy a car that's 3 years old with remaining warranty and/or CPO but would go older without warranty if I were to buy another Lexus this time around. Would you recommend going the CPO route or feel comfortable enough to buy just outside of warranty? I'm a 6' 2" man in his fifties, most of the time driving alone or with only one passenger. I'm a fairly sedate driver who appreciates a comfortable ride with nice amenities. Central FL doesn't suffer snow though we have a summer/fall rainy season. I can avoid driving in the heavy rains for the most part. Also, it's rather flat, straight roads here, not exactly a sport enthusiast's dream. So, I'm considering the 2.0t in either the A4 or A6 without Quattro because of the above reasons. I'm excited about the new 2016 252 hp version of this engine and wished it was already available in used A4 and A6s. Do you think it'll be in the 2016 A4? Is anyone else thinking that the substantial increase in HP and torque is a big plus? So, I'd like the Premium Plus version for the amenities. Would you recommend the A4 or A6? Thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm...... I'd go for the A4 to save a few pounds, and it feels a little more sporty. Plus, if I was mostly by myself, rear seat room isn't too big of a deal. I'm 6'3", and both my kiddos fit just fine in back seats, and they're 4.5-5'.
The engine wouldn't be too big of a concern for me, but the technology in those engines is pretty cool with the integrated exhaust manifold, lower friction bearings, and other things here and there. The HP rating probably wouldn't feel that much different, but the mileage will probably be about 10% better than the current engine.
I don't think CPO is really that big of a deal, but I do my own maintenance, and check the cars over pretty well before I buy them.
As far as a warranty, as long as you get something newer than a 2011, I don't think you'll run into the oil consumption issues, and there's not much more that goes wrong. An occasional waterpump on some engines, maybe an injector, intake runner flap, but that's few and far between.
If you're looking into a FWD model, Would you be getting an automatic? I'm not too impressed with the CVT transmissions, but the 8 speeds seem to do pretty well. I myself chose a manual, and Quattro, but I'm in VA where it snows. That's also one of the reasons I picked an Audi, quatttro is awesome.
I hope I helped a little!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your thoughts and opinion are helpful. I wanted to gather a bit more info before driving 100 miles to the dealership to test drive. I think you understand my car size needs and the A4 should suffice without me feeling claustrophobic, but the the test drive will tell. I wish the A4 2016 specs were out as far as the transmission change to dual clutch and high numbers on HP and torque may apply to this model.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't abandon quattro...

Without quattro, the Audi's understeer even more… The new A4 is quite well appointed and the nature of the power curve means it pulls really strongly in every day driving. I would make sure you drive both the FWD and quattro before making your decision. It is the heart of what makes an Audi.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by centralFL
I usually buy a car that's 3 years old with remaining warranty and/or CPO but would go older without warranty if I were to buy another Lexus this time around.
Originally Posted by centralFL
I wish the A4 2016 specs were out as far as the transmission change to dual clutch and high numbers on HP and torque may apply to this model.
Confused. Are you looking for a used or for a new car?

If new, I would recommend to test-drive Q5 TDI (turbo-diesel). You WILL be surprised by it's performance, level of comfort and gas-mileage. I was.
It is faster than my 2006 MINI Cooper "S"upercharged with manual transmission.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm more torn than confused. Ideally, I'd like a 3 year old Audi now but with the new power transmission package of the 2 ltr. I only drive around 5k miles a year on flat and straight FL roads. So, to me, the 2.0 makes the most sense. Sounds like I really need to test the Quattro as well, not just for safety but because of handling/driving characteristics in general. Can't hurt to try the diesel as well, that'll open me up to used models (A5) right now.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 3 Audi's and now work part-time as a driver for a major Audi dealer, so I get to drive the entire line of vehicles routinely. First, only buy Quattro - the CVT is just not very good. Get yourself in just one Florida downpour and you will be glad you have it. Second, the only real major issue on the A4 has been oil consumption on the 2.0. The '09's had quite a few other issues (I know since I owned one), but I have recently driven a number of 10's that drive like a brand new car. The style refresh in '13 was actually more than that as it seems to be when the A4 became a significantly better vehicle all the way around. If I were purchasing now, I would buy '13 or newer and frankly I would buy one of these instead of the upcoming B9 because Audi has a poor record on new models - it takes a few years to get bugs out.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Old 05-05-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your experience is incredibly helpful. Excellent point about new models and the superiority of Quattro especially when compared to a CVT. It's hard to say no to the feel and safety of sure footedness.