A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

HELP! Need New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Need New Engine

I just bought a used 2013 Audi A4 2.0T 6 months ago with 45,000 Miles on it. I had an APR tune stage I and a roc euro intake added to the car. My check engine light came on and the car started acting funny. Hard time turning over and idling a little high. (60,000 miles) currently. I took it to the dealer for the diagnostic on the EPC Light and CEL Light. They told me it was a speed engine sensor so I ordered the part and had them replace it (bill is $615) for that. They call me after they replace it to tell me that the 4th cylinder has no compression and the piston scored the cylinder wall. Told me I need a new engine for $13,700..... after parts and labor. Any advice/help? I want to take it elsewhere for an additional diagnostic. It seemed to be running fine, and the engine speed sensor caused the initial issues that I thought were going wrong. I just have a hard time believing that a Stage I tune would cause that issue. The car is not under warranty. I appreciate your information.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sound like BS to me. Take it to an indy shop and find out what the actual cause was.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

How long after you got it did the light come on? Where did you get it? If some dude screwed something up or knew there was an issue and just cleared the CEL and sold it, that would really grind my gears (sorry for the play on words). If it was something that you noticed and it threw a code, but you took your time to get it into the shop, that is a different story. I'd like to think I would not drive it anywhere if it was idling funny, hard to start, and threw a CEL, but I guess I wouldn't know unless I was really in the situation. Either way, definitely get it into an independent shop, only way to know what really needs to be done. Also, I find it hard to believe that stage 1 would have anything to do with it, lots of miles on that tune and I don't remember seeing anything about that in my own research (I have it too at 52k).
Old 11-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have put over 15,000 miles on the car since I bought it from the Audi dealership off of a lease. I had a 55,000 mile checkup about 1,500 miles ago from an Indy shop. I just put it on a flatbed from the Audi dealer to the indy shop so they can diagnose and confirm if the engine needs to be replaced. I took it straight to the dealer when the CEL and EPC lights came on, maybe 15 miles after it came on but the CEL light never flashed. After i picked it up from the dealer for replacing the speed engine sensor it was running worse... I will wait to see what the indy shop says and let you know.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also see you are in MN. I got my car from Audi St. Paul and am having Imola Motorsports look at the car and should hear back from them on Monday.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any updates? Or are you still in shock?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up taking it to an Indy shop in town and they looked at it in detail. They gave me compression tests numbers cylinder 1- 175, cylinder 2- 165, cylinder 3- 165 & cylinder 4-55. They diagnosed it and the piston ring broke and scored the cylinder wall. I ordered a used engine from them with 40K miles and I just got it back. Did if for half the price of the Audi Dealership and they did an amazing job. Runs better than when I bought it in the first place. I still am running the intake/tune. I know Audi had issues with 2010-2011 A4 pistons/rings, but I am hoping this engine will not have any issues like that in the future.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick get-back.

My boy (28!) is looking at a 2011 A4 2.0t/Premium with 84K. Thanks to this thread, and a long online "chat" with Dominique at Audi USA CS, it was determined that the previous owner started the "Stage One" diagnostic process for the oil consumption issiue, but dropped the ball before it was finished. Any new owner would be liable for any repairs.

At least he was honest about it!

Oh, well. The search goes on...

Nice damned car, though....
Old 12-05-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by triathlete11
I ended up taking it to an Indy shop in town and they looked at it in detail. They gave me compression tests numbers cylinder 1- 175, cylinder 2- 165, cylinder 3- 165 & cylinder 4-55. They diagnosed it and the piston ring broke and scored the cylinder wall. I ordered a used engine from them with 40K miles and I just got it back. Did if for half the price of the Audi Dealership and they did an amazing job. Runs better than when I bought it in the first place. I still am running the intake/tune. I know Audi had issues with 2010-2011 A4 pistons/rings, but I am hoping this engine will not have any issues like that in the future.
Glad you got the situation sorted... and for cheaper! How much was the engine alone (no labor) and where did the shop source it from?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The engine alone was around $4,000 out of the same year (2013 A4) with 41,xxx miles on it. The Indy shop has a good relationship with PAM's Auto, Inc. | auto parts store | used auto parts which is only an hour away from the shop. They got in within a day or two and had it installed within a weeks time.

Quick Reply: HELP! Need New Engine