A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lock doors on started car/advanced key

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock doors on started car/advanced key

Is is possible to lock your doors from the outside if you've started your car? When it gets this cold, I want to start my car and let it run for a bit (I know some don't approve of this, but I do). I have the intelligent key, so I have had difficulty locking the doors. I even tried it manually from the external door lock and no luck. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Secondly, what if someone tries to drive away with my started car even though the smart key is not in the vicinity? Will the car shut off?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mritalia
Is is possible to lock your doors from the outside if you've started your car? When it gets this cold, I want to start my car and let it run for a bit (I know some don't approve of this, but I do). I have the intelligent key, so I have had difficulty locking the doors. I even tried it manually from the external door lock and no luck. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Secondly, what if someone tries to drive away with my started car even though the smart key is not in the vicinity? Will the car shut off?
The car will run until it's shut off, although the "key not in vehicle" warning will show. After that it can't be started again.

I don't think the car will lock from the outside when the car is started if the engine is on.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

How about opening the driver side door, pressing on the lock button on the inside of the door and then just shutting the door from the outside? Haven't tried this in my Audi but in other cars it works. Sometimes the car gives a warning chime and you need to press lock again. The question is if the remote will then open the door but the mechanical key should work anyway.

Last edited by dk1; 12-14-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you're not in the car, turn it off. Why waste gas and pollute by idling? The fact that you have passengers shouldn't matter. Switch to accessory mode for audio and AC if you have to.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

There is another issue you should be aware of: warm engine, cold transmission. This from my dealer svc mgr:

Warm up your car, warm up the engine, actually. Now, then, the engine is warm and all is well, yes? Well, maybe not "all" -- if you warm up the engine with the car in park or neutral and then get into the car, the transmission may well still be cold, even though the engine is warm.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes get out of the car with the key. Pull the real metal key out and use it in the keyhole on the door and lock it that way. That's the only way to do it and keep the car on.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Yes get out of the car with the key. Pull the real metal key out and use it in the keyhole on the door and lock it that way. That's the only way to do it and keep the car on.
I tried pulling the metal key out and locking from the exterior door handle and nothing happens. It won't lock. I even tried two keys; one in the ignition and one from the outside. I don't think there is a way to lock the car from the exterior once the engine is running. This really sucks as now I have to watch my car to ensure it doesn't get stolen.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

What sort of scenario would require you to be away from the car AND keep it running? Just curious.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
What sort of scenario would require you to be away from the car AND keep it running? Just curious.
-35 degrees celsius or -31 degrees fahrenheit
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-35 degrees celsius or -31 degrees fahrenheit
Most German cars can be fitted with an accessory gasoline heater used to heat the car whilst parked. It uses less fuel than the engine. The one on my Mercedes has a timer so the car is toasty inside at a predetermined time.

Quick Reply: Lock doors on started car/advanced key