A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lock doors on started car/advanced key

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to treat you like a child.. but did you turn the key down when it was in the door lock? Because that's how I lock my car while it is still running.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
Not to treat you like a child.. but did you turn the key down when it was in the door lock? Because that's how I lock my car while it is still running.
Yes, I get no response when I put the key in the door handle. I never use the exterior handle to lock my door and so now that I've tried, I noticed that it doesn't turn. I've jiggled and twisted and...........nothing. So it works for you? If so, you're the first I've come across who has been successful. Are you driving a B8?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Again not to question you but the key only works if it's in the right way. I know it works. I've done it on both 2009s and 2010s. I had a client who would not buy the car if it didn't do it so they could lock their dog in the car while the car was running to keep it warm/cool.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Again not to question you but the key only works if it's in the right way. I know it works. I've done it on both 2009s and 2010s. I had a client who would not buy the car if it didn't do it so they could lock their dog in the car while the car was running to keep it warm/cool.
OK, so what is the "right way" to put the key in? I've tried putting the key in both ways and my lock does not turn. I wonder if it's frozen because I have tried several times and many different ways.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The excess/long side should be toward the rear of the car. Make sure the key is all the way in. It will twist down to lock. You might want to try it with the car off as well to make sure you don't have a problem with your lock cylinder.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
The excess/long side should be toward the rear of the car. Make sure the key is all the way in. It will twist down to lock. You might want to try it with the car off as well to make sure you don't have a problem with your lock cylinder.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I did try it with the ignition off and it still does not turn. I put the key in both ways and as far as it would go. It went in about 3/4 of the way. I am tentative not to do any damage. I am taking my car in for service this week, so I'll definitely get them to check it out. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I'm driving a 2009 A4 2.0t. excess pointed towards the back.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Yes, I'm driving a 2009 A4 2.0t. excess pointed towards the back.
Finally warmed up a bit in Alberta and sure enough, my doors now lock with the external key. My locks were frozen shut! I guess I take for granted how much these cars are put through in the extreme conditions.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mritalia
Finally warmed up a bit in Alberta and sure enough, my doors now lock with the external key. My locks were frozen shut! I guess I take for granted how much these cars are put through in the extreme conditions.
You should do yourself a favor and buy the optional engine/oil-pan warmer. Just put it on an electrical timer and plug it in with an extension cord. It will come on and in an hour or so heat up the engine block and engine oil.

Letting a cold car engine idle is actually worse for it than simply driving off. The manuals on both my current and previous Audi have warned about exactly this, insisting it's better to drive off at low throttle and keep RPMs down than to let the car sit and "warm up".
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW my girlfriends mom's A4 was just stolen out ofh er driveway to let it idle. I know it's common sense to most (hence the desire to lock the car) but if you warm up your car every morning at the same time (before work) you're a very, very easy target. There was a huge spree in my parents neighbourhood, 6+ luxury SUVs stolen in a period of a week...

if anyone is unable to get the locking part to work (while they idle) then I'd suggest a remote starter.

Quick Reply: Lock doors on started car/advanced key