A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Low RPM rough acceleration with bouncing tachometer (w/ video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low RPM rough acceleration with bouncing tachometer (w/ video)

My 2009 A4 with 95,000 miles has started to exhibit an obnoxious rough acceleration at low RPMs in first and second gear. The problem is most noticeable when the engine is cold.

The following video shows a light/steady first gear acceleration - notice the tach bouncing slightly. It looks subtle but it's very noticeable while driving.

https://*******/IKP4

Spark plugs recently replaced so I can rule that out. Other ideas that first came to mind were cleaning the throttle body or changing transmission fluid. Has anybody else experienced this issue that can lend some advice?

Does the bouncing tach automatically point to an engine-related issue or could this be drivetrain-related?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has your timing chain ever been replaced?
Old 05-25-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mecgmecg
Has your timing chain ever been replaced?
Yes, actually just last week. I just had the Stage 2 oil consumption fix done (new pistons) and had them replace the timing chain and all guides, etc, as well as spark plugs at the same time. This issue was present beforehand though..
Old 05-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the tach bounce if you stay in Park and apply some throttle? Just trying to hone in on whether it's an electrical issue or drivetrain issue.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mecgmecg
Does the tach bounce if you stay in Park and apply some throttle? Just trying to hone in on whether it's an electrical issue or drivetrain issue.
It doesn't seem to be noticeable while in neutral.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i should also mention it's a manual transmission.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be motor mounts. Engine idles OK in neutral, but seems to run rough when shifted into gear with clutch in.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Moviela
Could be motor mounts. Engine idles OK in neutral, but seems to run rough when shifted into gear with clutch in.
No, it's felt when the car is in gear and accelerating at low RPMs. The feeling is much more of a complete shudder or hesitation, not just engine vibration.

The problem seems to be getting worse but I'm very confused as to what it could be. The fact that the engine "accelerates" smoothly in neutral but not when in gear makes me think it's transmission-related, but the fact that it's much more noticeable when the engine is cold seems to contradict that. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnnyb8
No, it's felt when the car is in gear and accelerating at low RPMs. The feeling is much more of a complete shudder or hesitation, not just engine vibration.

The problem seems to be getting worse but I'm very confused as to what it could be. The fact that the engine "accelerates" smoothly in neutral but not when in gear makes me think it's transmission-related, but the fact that it's much more noticeable when the engine is cold seems to contradict that. Any ideas?
I'd look to see if there is any carbon buildup on the intake valves and if the intake manifold flaps are clean and working as designed.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ryan Mills
I'd look to see if there is any carbon buildup on the intake valves and if the intake manifold flaps are clean and working as designed.
Thanks, Ryan. I was thinking of starting by cleaning the valves, throttle body, and fuel injectors to see if that resolves the issue as it's probably about the cheapest first step I could take.

Quick Reply: Low RPM rough acceleration with bouncing tachometer (w/ video)