A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Audi Owner and Navi Retrofit Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. I think you are crazy to take this on. However, i sure have enjoyed following the progress and wish you luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluetrade
wow. I think you are crazy to take this on. However, i sure have enjoyed following the progress and wish you luck.
Honestly. The wiring aspect does not seem complicated. Diff story with the programming but based on how VAG codes their vehicles it should not be hard to crack.

Whats the worst thing that's going to happen? I'll be riding a bicycle to work or end up like Wiley E Coyote.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetrade
+1 I want to see how this turns out. Good luck!

Originally Posted by sharontha

Whats the worst thing that's going to happen? I'll be riding a bicycle to work or end up like Wiley E Coyote.
Hahaha!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

looking forward to updates......I'm considering a similar upgrade to 3G MMI but I'm already starting with 2G NAV (High) so I already have a MOST bus in the car.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't start pulling things apart just yet. If you've shown everything in your pictures your missing a few very important key items.

First of all how are you going to get the SAT and GPS signals into your head unit? I don't see wiring or antenna in your picture.

Also whats the use of having NAV if you can't hear it? The MOST systems use a MOST amplifier. I don't see that in the picture. Maybe you have other plans or something.

I have actually looked at this mod a lot in the past trying to figure out how to offer kits.

Since I just retrofitted the new 3G plus system into my 3G car I'll be putting together a full retrofit kit using my spare parts. I wont be using a Kufatec harness though, I have other sources that are slightly better priced and they get made in an Audi OEM harness factory.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

P.S. Did you look to see if you had to get new Mics? Not sure if the non MMI has all the same microphones in place.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow...just wow! I am eagerly awaiting your next update.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a heads up on your retrofit, I believe you have the incorrect MMI bezel.

You purchased: "8K1 857 186 F" and the 7" 3G screen requires "8K1 857 186 H".

The "F" version is for 2G High NAV.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidB5
Don't start pulling things apart just yet. If you've shown everything in your pictures your missing a few very important key items.

First of all how are you going to get the SAT and GPS signals into your head unit? I don't see wiring or antenna in your picture.

Also whats the use of having NAV if you can't hear it? The MOST systems use a MOST amplifier. I don't see that in the picture. Maybe you have other plans or something.

I have actually looked at this mod a lot in the past trying to figure out how to offer kits.

Since I just retrofitted the new 3G plus system into my 3G car I'll be putting together a full retrofit kit using my spare parts. I wont be using a Kufatec harness though, I have other sources that are slightly better priced and they get made in an Audi OEM harness factory.

Hey Dave u are right on. Been hectic with the new baby and it's Budget time at work, so barely have had any time to do anything.

Just 2 weeks ago, I made a dry run. Like u said what I usually what I do is take the whole thing apart and then curse myself out. Plus I wanted to be familiar with the process of disassembling because I wanted to put together some good directions. Usually I start thinking that and stop midway because I would get frustrated taking some small part out and then stop noting down directions and taking pics. At the end I want this tho work out and benefit the next clown like me that goes ahead with this retrofit.

Anyway.... Don't use Kufatec... I spent $400 and the jokers mailed me the harness and then they tell me they don't have directions. And to quote Their CEO Enrico Richter" sorry we cannot help you" Also no wiring diagrams and their damn wiring is not color coded. Which makes it 10 times worse. That was the last time either I or anyone I know uses Kufatec.

So just this past week, I went and bought the Bentley repair manual along with a new Ross-Tech VCDS. So in the little time I had I've been playing trying to familiarize myself with the VCDS. ( got the gauge needle sweep and the windows up/down activated) Don't really consider this a investment in the retrofit because I think both are a must have if one wants to do any mod on a B8.

That being said my translation of MMI high vs MMI low is off I think. From your mention of the MOST Amp you I think answered one thing that had me spinning with the Kufatec harness. Totally makes sense now bec I had no idea why the connection to the Radio in the trunk had no harness connection. Meaning.... The 2 connections which bridge the Symphony system to the MMI High CD/DVD changer is included but I was confused as to how the speaker connections were going in to the Radio because the connectors from the stock Amp to the new Radio were no where close. For a min I thought I would have to build/buy the wiring for that. From doing my research I know some folks mention that Radio unit for the trunk would replace the stock AMP. So I was wondering....if you would be able to point me in the right direction with a couple of questions.

1) what's the diff between the MOST amp, the radio box and the B&O amp?
2) There is an open ended connection with 2 wires sticking out of the Kufatec harness, thinking this is for the Mic?
3) What's the diff between the stock MIC for Bluetooth and the MMI 3G mic?
4) you are right as far as the 2 wires/extension for SAT Radio and the Nav. I totally dropped the ball on that.

Thanks again for the info! Appreciate it . Im Hoping that you can share some of ur experience /knowledge.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cory_can
Just a heads up on your retrofit, I believe you have the incorrect MMI bezel.

You purchased: "8K1 857 186 F" and the 7" 3G screen requires "8K1 857 186 H".

The "F" version is for 2G High NAV.
Thanks! Will look this up. The bezel was a perfect fit on the surface. If its wrong. The chances r I will need to chg the monitor

Quick Reply: New Audi Owner and Navi Retrofit Project