A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Shopping for B8, confused about some options

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for B8, confused about some options

From reading around, I get the sense that buying CPO is recommended. Looking for a 2010-12. If I were to buy a used B8 from other than an Audi dealership, can I bring it in and purchase some sort of extended warranty as long as the car is under 50k or something like that?

Does the S-line come with the lowered sports suspension? Is the sports package the only way to get the paddle shifters? Is that even a big deal? Does anyone still use theirs after the novelty wears off?

The extra buttons and **** below the shifter, does that denote Navigation is included or some other additional option?

And finally, is there any way to tell from pictures if a car has the B&O stereo system? Does the headunit look different? Badging on the speaker grills?

Can anyone sway me towards or away from the B8? My other options would include a 2013 VW CC, 2011 BMW 328i coupe, 2012 328i sedan, or 2012 Mercedes C250 coupe.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not 100% sure - but I assume you can get a 3rd party warranty. Carmax does something like that.

S-line *may* have upgraded suspension and wheels. But in some instances it's just a "s-line" appearance package. So it'll have the fancier bumper, etc... However I believe in the years you're looking at S-Line means the whole sport package.

If it's got controls down along the shifter console, it's got the MMI system with NAV.

B&O has round, silver ringed, speaker grills in the doors, also on the door sail. Plus round speakers up on the dash and in the rear deck. Basically if you see a silver ring it's B&O.

The largest problem with 2009-2011 B8's is oil consumption. A large percent of the engines in this time period were sucking down up to 1 quart per 1500 miles. My 2011 was 1 quart in 3500. If the problem is bad enough Audi has an open TSB to fix the problem... you'd want to see the service history on the car.

Having said all that. My first Audi was a 2011, FWD, pretty much base model. I really loved my car, but it felt like I cheaped out. Didn't even have back seat that folded down for extra storage. It was a no-brainer when my lease was up to get a Premium Plus with quattro and now, even though I leased, I'm going to keep this car. It's fast when I need it to be, it's comfortable on my daily 3 hours commuting, the interior is nice, and it looks beautiful and will age gracefully.

We owned a convertible 128i previously - first and last BMW. It was fun to drive, but awful to commute in (rode way too hard), and developed lots of little problem over 2 years: tons of rattles, stereo display failed, computer stopped calculating MPGs, etc...

I've driven a loaner C250 when my wife's Benz was in the shop. The interior was full of cheap, hard plastic. The engine was supposed to be turbocharged but it felt sluggish and uninspired. And the tranny felt slow to respond. My Audi spoiled me in these regards. It does have good a good exterior however. I hear the CLA is even worse: looks good on the outside, is lame on the inside.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info, guess I've run into an anomaly. There are 2 white 2012 Premium Plus S-lines I'm looking at on AutoTrader, one has 5 spoke rims with the 3 spoke steering wheel and sport seats.

The other S-line has 10 spoke rims (the ones with the notch in them), but 4-spoke steering wheel and regular seats. It has the appearance package but I can't necessarily tell from the photos if it is slightly lowered.

Since neither car has the B&O system I'm going to keep looking anyways though.

From what I've been reading around the forums, no Nav/MMI means I won't have bluetooth streaming? Will I still be able to play from SD cards? I don't like Sirius and am used to always using Google Maps on my phone so I'm not sure if no MMI is a deal-breaker or not yet...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you found 2 anomalies for sure. I really think the B&O was worth the upgrade. It's not the best system in the world, in fact I had to upgrade the subwoofer, but it's good enough to put a grin on my face.

No MMI means no bluetooth streaming. It PROBABLY has bluetooth for phonecalls.

All Audi's have SD card. More than likely it has an ipod cord in the glovebox. The biggest advantage of the MMI is a higher resolution screen, better graphics, and for whatever reason the controls down by the shifter make the car look more upscale. I can also playback DVD's and video off SD card. I don't need NAV either, but it's nice to have because I get realtime traffic.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 models all have s-line appearance packages, but the 3-spoke wheel and sport seats denote sport package which has different suspension. This to me is the single best package upgrade on A4's because the seats are a whole lot more comfortable and supportive.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nostromo, you can just straight swap in a new subwoofer and use the B&O wiring and amp correct? Albeit underpowered compared to adding a new amp.

shs, didn't realize all 2012 had the s-line looks. Now I'm left to wonder if its worth hunting down an actual sports package since they seem so rare, or it buying aftermarket springs myself would do the trick (I won't miss the sports seats if I've never tried em).
Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think the s-line appearance package lowered the car?

Stay with the P+ or Premium packages on the cars you're looking at. Audi did some decontenting on the Premiums in 2010,2011 to keep the base model price low. Moved up basic features to higher trims.
The 4 spoke steering wheel should be the standard one. Where is the radio/mmi control **** -- on the console, or by the arm rest?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Intotheblue
Thanks for the info, guess I've run into an anomaly. There are 2 white 2012 Premium Plus S-lines I'm looking at on AutoTrader, one has 5 spoke rims with the 3 spoke steering wheel and sport seats.

The other S-line has 10 spoke rims (the ones with the notch in them), but 4-spoke steering wheel and regular seats. It has the appearance package but I can't necessarily tell from the photos if it is slightly lowered.

Since neither car has the B&O system I'm going to keep looking anyways though.

From what I've been reading around the forums, no Nav/MMI means I won't have bluetooth streaming? Will I still be able to play from SD cards? I don't like Sirius and am used to always using Google Maps on my phone so I'm not sure if no MMI is a deal-breaker or not yet...
2012 MMI doesn't support music play through Bluetooth.
Here is available option for 2012.
2012 Audi A4 Options & Packages Prices - Motor Trend Magazine

I went through this not long ago.
I actually bought a beautiful CPO 2012 Quattro Prestige, but I made the dealer to buy it back because of disagreement on some issues and warranty coverage.
And I am glad it worked out that way since I got this 2013 Quattro prestige.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-blue-2878704/

Bluetooth music play is so much convenient than connecting the cable and sticking your phone in the glove box. In addition, Audi MMI cable is poorly designed and a phone case has to be removed to connect it

I have 01 BMW 330i, and that will be the last BMW I will ever buy, enough said from a guy who does all the maintenace by himself. That company doesn't know how to do durability test properly (how long was the company in automobile manufcaturing business?) or purposely made them with weak comopents so that it can make more mony selling service parts. Many young kids' hard earned money is spent on upkeeping their BMWs.

No car manufacturer has nicer interior than Audi in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Intotheblue
Nostromo, you can just straight swap in a new subwoofer and use the B&O wiring and amp correct? Albeit underpowered compared to adding a new amp.

shs, didn't realize all 2012 had the s-line looks. Now I'm left to wonder if its worth hunting down an actual sports package since they seem so rare, or it buying aftermarket springs myself would do the trick (I won't miss the sports seats if I've never tried em).

There's quite the thread over in the S4 forum:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...2822346/page2/

The 10" Pioneer we all used gets more than sufficient juice from the B&O. I can certainly annoy the neighborhood with it. You could amp it more, though.