A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Transmition A4 2014 Plus. Abrupt shifts in traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmition A4 2014 Plus. Abrupt shifts in traffic.

Hi All,
Im still new Audi owner, just a few months.
Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to this when I did drive test I have notice this but thought its my driving not a car, now its irritates me so bad.
Transmission does abrupt shifts in traffic on low speed the same when slowing to stop, feels like car release the clutch too fast or jumps from 2 to 0 real fast.
Does anyone had the same issues? Thank you All.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DanD.
Hi All,
Im still new Audi owner, just a few months.
Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to this when I did drive test I have notice this but thought its my driving not a car, now its irritates me so bad.
Transmission does abrupt shifts in traffic on low speed the same when slowing to stop, feels like car release the clutch too fast or jumps from 2 to 0 real fast.
Does anyone had the same issues? Thank you All.
I experience something similar with a brand new 2015 Audi A4 (quattro), but my situation is closer to what they describe here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...tling-2869450/
Old 06-29-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tscinta
I experience something similar with a brand new 2015 Audi A4 (quattro), but my situation is closer to what they describe here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...tling-2869450/
Looks like mine too. Especially early morning going down the hill when I release the gas pedal transmission jerks.
Im taking it to a dealer this Friday, when I call them looks like they knew exactly what I was talking about. See what they can do about.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looks like mine too. Especially early morning going down the hill when I release the gas pedal transmission jerks.
Im taking it to a dealer this Friday, when I call them looks like they knew exactly what I was talking about. See what they can do about.
Let us know how it goes. I'm going to make an appointment with the dealer this week.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine shifts very abruptly the first shift of the day, and occasionally will do a harsh downshift into second and first, when coming to a stop.

Please do update us once you've taken it in to the dealer.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My dealer said they're aren't aware of a specific issue affecting 2015 A4s, so they're suggesting that I flash the computer memory to start from scratch. I don't think it necessarily will create problems, so I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tscinta
My dealer said they're aren't aware of a specific issue affecting 2015 A4s, so they're suggesting that I flash the computer memory to start from scratch. I don't think it necessarily will create problems, so I'm going to give it a shot.
How will be doing the flash? If you can do it can you provide some instructions?
Im taking my car this Friday to a dealer but always good to have a backup plan.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How will be doing the flash? If you can do it can you provide some instructions?
Im taking my car this Friday to a dealer but always good to have a backup plan.
The dealer simply reprogrammed the computer so that it would start re-learning my driving style from scratch. I honestly have no idea what the computer "learns" as you drive, but they wiped out whatever it picked up in the first month.

Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue for me. The perspective I'm getting from the dealer is apparently a common refrain: this is how an Audi drives.

Perhaps it is intentional, but I'm not crazy about it. Granted, my problem may not be as severe as yours (as I slow down, it almost feels like the brakes are grabbing at roughly 30, 20, and 10 mph).
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took my to a dealer on Friday, still there till Monday, not sure why it takes this long. Got a loaner A4 2015. What a nice ride, transmission is very smooth totally different, another noticeable difference MPG shows highway 30.6 and city 26.2.
I newer saw this high numbers in my car, Im lucky if I get 26/20. Will talk to a dealer about this too.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

My 2011 has had this problem to some degree since the car was new. The transmission adaptation has been reset several times and it may have improved the harsh low speed shifts slightly, but not dramatically. Unfortunately, the jerky low-speed behavior of the 8-speed AT is likely caused by Audi's poor calibration; BMW uses the same transmission, but it is universally hailed as one of the best ATs on the market.

Quick Reply: Transmition A4 2014 Plus. Abrupt shifts in traffic.