A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Turn Signal Relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal Relay

Hopefully you can help. I have a 2009 A4 Avant that indicates the classic problem of the turn indicators not functioning when the stalk is moved to the turn position. None of the indicator lights (inside or outside) illuminate and no clicking noise is heard. The "classic" test is to determine if the hazard flashers work and they do. It seems though that there may have been a change and the relays have been relocated. I removed the hazard flasher switch in combo with the passenger air bag disabled light and completely disassembled the part down to the circuit PWA looking for the relay switches in an attempt to locate and clean them as suggested by others with older model Audi's. They were not there so I put it back to together and tested. Same problem and no new symptoms! The owners manual is no help on location and these forums have no apparent information on this model with this issue. Can you direct me to a resource or techie who might be able to provide some insight?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no turn signal electromagnetic relay. Turn signals and other exterior lighting is done electronically using a CANbus to route signals from the turn signal stalk, brake pedal switch, and headlight switch to the transistor drivers that illuminate the lamps. The sound you hear is simulated by the module doing the work to remind you the blinker is on.

To determine if the module is bad, or there is a problem with the switch, or communications on the CANbus you will need a computer to analyze the components through the OBDII port.

You can buy the software from Snap-On (Uber-expensive), Ross Tech (expensive), or a cable with software (cheap) from China. More than likely the latter has no support, period.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, Thanks I will continue to investigate and respond back with results