A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpcompt
i am having a hard time concerning your motives in this discussion. audi wants the dealers to balance tires. and, then they replace the control arms, both at their cost. where are you going with this. my car ( '09 s-line tip) is fine with the balance and a tire replacement and they are still replacing the control arms. i just don't see some conspiracy to defraud their buyers.
My motives are to get my A4 fixed -- that is, without the vibration. If you have been following this, I've now had my wheels/tires road-force balanced for the 2nd time (1st time at 5K service, 2nd now at 9K) -- the problem won't go away and after this latest balance, the vibration has turned into a buzz in the steering wheel starting at 64mph.

I'm happy for you that your car is fine and yet you are getting the control arms.

You should have some sense of empathy for others like me, that literally don't have a car that's fine, now after 2 R-F balances -- and the dealer still won't get Audi's approval to order the arms.

It really doesn't matter that you don't see the conspiracy -- never said there was one -- only that in many cases, like mine, they are NOT stepping up to the plate and taking care of it without a great deal of hassle. I believe I have every right to be pissed off about it.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by desgnconcpts
snagitseven,
Thanks for the encouragement. I've been nothing but rational with the service mgr. As I stated, I physically saw/read the bulletin on the vibration -- my point there is, it clearly stated 27 lbs as max force when balancing. I just wanted to know what wheel size you had -- it doesn't make much sense if the force is less for larger wheels (to me), but I do know there was a whole grid with different numbers. The master tech pointed to my wheels (all I was concerned about at the time) to show me. If they are adj the max r-f allowable, then that's a reason for concern. Maybe I need other wheels and/or tires replaced (though they say they're good).

Bottom line: for me it's about 90-100 min roundtrip to/from dealer, lots of time out of my day. And with the control arms now on an up-to-8-week wait, well, that becomes another problem. 2 trips already to dealer to solve this -- they still won't get the OK for the arms without a 3rd trip this week. And it will take yet a 4th trip presuming they finally agree after that to order them, to get them installed.

And all I can hope in the process is that the new control arms fix it. Can't help but feel a bit ticked off.

Believe me, I do understand your frustration. The distance isn't helping for sure.
You may be right that there's a difference with this wheel size grid - I just don't know. One way or the other they have to solve it and the arms could be the answer
In any case, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend you call AOA first thing Monday and as I said, ask to escalate to a higher authority. Get them directly involved if you can before you make another long trip. It could very well end up being to to your advantage. Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-03-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The message seems to be quite clear:

It depends on which dealer you have, or a prior relationship with that dealer, that can make this process easier or frustrating on customers.

Having to take multiple trips to get a balance seems overly taxing on those who leave miles and miles from a dealer. Also,just hope you never rotate your tires in the future after the r-f balance and the problem returns. Then hope they don't claim that you bent a rim and make you replace it on your dime.

So, with the most cursery review of these forums, one can either have an easy swap to get the arms, which "seem" to alleviate the problems. Or one can go donw the path of others and waste days away from work and dollars on unnescessary rim replacement. It depends on your deealer.

Maybe someone ought to start a thread reporting which dealers they use who got it fixed right, quikly. hmm. But then again, folks will just post useless pontifications on the merits of that OP, so whats the point, no?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody have the part numbers for the new control arms? I'm looking at a recent EKTA (that's the parts catalog) and do see a change in the part number for the control arms.

John.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After two trips to the dealer, they have just replaced one tire that was out of spec adter road balancing. Now why they didn't find this the first time around is left as an exercise for the frustrated owner.

I plan on calling Monday and insisting on the new control arms. I've had enough of this game.

Regarding AoA's reaction to this, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't come out with an official TSB. They are inviting trouble given the large number of people who have this issue. I didn't buy a $40k car only to be left with something that a) is not as described and b) is substantially different from what I was given to test drive.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joesky
After two trips to the dealer, they have just replaced one tire that was out of spec adter road balancing. Now why they didn't find this the first time around is left as an exercise for the frustrated owner.

I plan on calling Monday and insisting on the new control arms. I've had enough of this game.

Regarding AoA's reaction to this, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't come out with an official TSB. They are inviting trouble given the large number of people who have this issue. I didn't buy a $40k car only to be left with something that a) is not as described and b) is substantially different from what I was given to test drive.
We have it on good authority from a forum poster here that this problem is known by dealers and covered under a known TSB. I'm a bit confused how your dealer didn't know about this shimmie fix of using the new control arms. Weird.

I guess it comes down to your dealer minimizing his exposure - cheaper to replace a tire then to tear apart your car replacing control arms - and wasting your time and causing you untold frustration. Sucks for those of you who do not live near a major city. Come to Dallas, we have 3 to choose from.

Then again, it could be a figment of your imagination. A case of group think, were you think you have a vibration just because you read it here first!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
We have it on good authority from a forum poster here that this problem is known by dealers and covered under a known TSB.

Then again, it could be a figment of your imagination. A case of group think, were you think you have a vibration just because you read it here first!
Most definitely not a figment of my imagination... the vibration is bad enough to get my teeth chattering. Worse, now it's started at low speed as well...

I called AoA this morning and my dealer. Little joy from either. The dealer wants me to jump through another hoop to protect themselves which I am unwilling to do.

When I called AoA, I explained the background and situation and expected a positive response. Instead I got asked is it high speed or low speed and when I said high speed was told someone will need to get back to me within a week. Not at all what I expected after reading the initial posts on this thread.

Not sure how much longer I can continue to be patient with my $40k+ imperfect investment. Love the car in all other ways, but this is irritating!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by joesky
Most definitely not a figment of my imagination... the vibration is bad enough to get my teeth chattering. Worse, now it's started at low speed as well...

I called AoA this morning and my dealer. Little joy from either. The dealer wants me to jump through another hoop to protect themselves which I am unwilling to do.

When I called AoA, I explained the background and situation and expected a positive response. Instead I got asked is it high speed or low speed and when I said high speed was told someone will need to get back to me within a week. Not at all what I expected after reading the initial posts on this thread.

Not sure how much longer I can continue to be patient with my $40k+ imperfect investment. Love the car in all other ways, but this is irritating!
What additional hoops is the dealer asking you to jump through? When you called AOA, did you ask to escalate to a higher level? See if you get that call back this week from a "higher up".
Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What additional hoops is the dealer asking you to jump through? When you called AOA, did you ask to escalate to a higher level? See if you get that call back this week from a "higher up".
They want me to bring it in again for yet another road force balance and then a ride along.

I didn't escalate to a higher level at AoA yet as I'm waiting to hear back from them. Depending on what they tell me I will escalate, but I'm hoping they acknowledge the problem and tell the dealer to order the arms.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just came across this bit in the Edmund's review article: "the steering wheel vibrates with four-cylinder fervor at full throttle."

Could there be something more going on than just control arms? Or should we just qualify the Edmund's statement as "whatever the hell that means?"

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA