A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 coding tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss
That worked no issue accessing the menu. Have you found any use for it? I've been reading the German wiki and they do have instruction on how to activate the traffic recognition. Are you still working on trying to get that function going. My car already has the function activated so I could check if it works.
I wish I could sticky this reply lol. That is copied from B8 coding forums and doesn't apply to the B9 in any market.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the lap timer tweak and the HUD, has anyone else noticed that the timer in the HUD does not count, while the VC timer is running. I double checked my coding, but nothing there that i saw.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know, is it possible to enable Mirror Link?
I see there is a coding adaptation for it.
On previous generation, one could get the adapter for the MMI to RCA. Which could mirror your phone. Does anyone know is that possible with the USB input?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
Well, I spent 36 years being a cop and I never once even looked to see what was on someone's screen. But then I never wrote many traffic tickets over those 36 years. Traffic tickets are all about revenue, not safety. I remember once when the City Council wrote a letter to us in the Police Department telling us that they'd just hired a bunch of new people in the Municipal Court and that we needed to get on our cops to write a lot more tickets to pay for them. What a joke.
It's nice to hear someone in the know confirm what we've all suspected for years.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there any way we can customize the MMI boot up screen?

Customize startup/splash screen on MMI
Old 01-28-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Apologies in advance to the newbie question, but I'm looking to understand the difference between Coding and Adaptation? When would you use one instead of the other?

P.S. I've got significant software engineering experience, so feel free to explain in full details and as technical as possible

TIA
Old 01-28-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Is there any way we can customize the MMI boot up screen?

Customize startup/splash screen on MMI
yes what do you want it to be and on the VC or mmi? Or both?

but also I realized only for other Audi models can it be customized
Old 01-28-2017, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
yes what do you want it to be and on the VC or mmi? Or both?

but also I realized only for other Audi models can it be customized
I'd like to have the stock MMI screen with a small racechip logo too

And change it to APR or GIAC or whichever tune I plan on getting in the future
Old 01-29-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
Apologies in advance to the newbie question, but I'm looking to understand the difference between Coding and Adaptation? When would you use one instead of the other?

P.S. I've got significant software engineering experience, so feel free to explain in full details and as technical as possible

TIA
I'm sure someone can explain the technical reason for both much better than I can but coding is flipping bits while adaptation is setting numeric values. Somehow like the difference between REG_DWORD and REG_SZ on a Windows computer.

Each ECU has a coding section, a hex string of varying lengths where settings can be changed by enabling bits in certain bytes. In the old days VCDS had the long coding helper that offered a nice GUI that explained what all the bits are for (at least the known ones). But at the moment VCDS its lacking any coding helper and only OBD11 and VCP do explain what some bits do. You would change bit x in byte y from 0 to 1 to turn feature a on or off.

Besides the coding there are various adaptation channels that always said in clear text what they for for, even though the text is mostly a mix of German, English and technical abbreviations. While there were only a few adaption channels in the old days, there can be 1000 or more in the most recent ECUs. Via adaptation you can for example change the video cut off speed from 15km/h to 250km/h which is what Video in Motion does. It's not that easy though because a security code is required to be able to change that numeric value in the EEPROM of the MMI head unit and since the code and exact process is not public yet, only OBD11 and VCP can do VIM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I'm sure someone can explain the technical reason for both much better than I can but coding is flipping bits while adaptation is setting numeric values. Somehow like the difference between REG_DWORD and REG_SZ on a Windows computer.

Each ECU has a coding section, a hex string of varying lengths where settings can be changed by enabling bits in certain bytes. In the old days VCDS had the long coding helper that offered a nice GUI that explained what all the bits are for (at least the known ones). But at the moment VCDS its lacking any coding helper and only OBD11 and VCP do explain what some bits do. You would change bit x in byte y from 0 to 1 to turn feature a on or off.

Besides the coding there are various adaptation channels that always said in clear text what they for for, even though the text is mostly a mix of German, English and technical abbreviations. While there were only a few adaption channels in the old days, there can be 1000 or more in the most recent ECUs. Via adaptation you can for example change the video cut off speed from 15km/h to 250km/h which is what Video in Motion does. It's not that easy though because a security code is required to be able to change that numeric value in the EEPROM of the MMI head unit and since the code and exact process is not public yet, only OBD11 and VCP can do VIM.
Thanks. That's a good start. What I'm kind of looking for is suppose one wants to investigate how to activate/deactivate a feature (Any feature), is there a logical way of thinking as to whether the changes should be done in the Long Coding or Adaptations?

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 coding tweaks