A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Android Auto weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto weirdness

Android Auto (and Apple Carplay) are great systems which have solved very many issues people were facing with their car's infotainment systems just a few years back. But, the system isn't without it's flaws. Keeping the design flaws aside, there are some functional quirks which I have discovered in just the past month of owning my car. Listing those here and wondering if others have experienced these:

- Android Auto seems to mute the phone microphone seemingly randomly. Just a couple days ago, while my phone was plugged into the Android Auto Interface, I completed an outgoing call perfectly. However, when I got an incoming call just after a few minutes, the mic was mute! The other person on the line could not hear me but I was able to hear them perfectly. Even google assistant did not seem to hear me at all! Once I unplugged the phone and was just connected via bluetooth, everything was fine.

-Making a call while spotify is playing does not revert back to spotify streaming when done with the call. It happens intermittently, and goes back to playing the radio for me.

- Sometimes it takes a couple of tries of plugging and un-plugging the phone to get the Android Auto to show up on the MMI screen. It is annoying!

My phone model is Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android v6.0.1 with the latest Android Auto App from Google play store.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know about the first two problems but the last problem you mentioned has happened to someone else (I think they have a thread in AZ, not here).

Btw, I have the same phone, same version and my phone works perfectly with android auto. A little too well since every time I connect the phone, android auto pops up and sometimes, I don't want it to!!! Yet it still does. All the time.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the "muted microphone" problem using an iPhone. Worked perfectly the first 6 months but doesn't work at all now. Found if I whisper the other party can hear me (quietly) with no dropout...suspicious about some noise cancellation feature going haywire.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are a bunch of quirks for sure

Like notifications such as whatsapp appear. When I go to play them, it says 'no messages' or something. Defeats the purpose.

I've notify the Spotify issue also. Spotify can be a little flaky sometimes but generally ok.

The maps and ok Google is generally excellent. Especially as I can keep my toddler entertained by asking such things as 'what does an elephant sound like'
Voice recognition for addresses is second to none.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Today my android auto is not understanding "yes" or "reply" after it reads me a text. I have to start from scratch to someone to reply to them.

Quirks present for sure. Hopefully this fixes itself.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As you use Spotify, can you test something for me?

If I'm in maps and say "OK Google, play pop music on Spotify" or similar, it opens Spotify and comes up with something like 'getting your music' then just sits there and nothing happens. I have to ask it again when spotify is on the screen and it then works.
Does yours do that?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the last google monthly security update my Android Auto has not been able to reply to text messages. I have to start from scratch and say "text <recipient>...."yes"" to reply. When AA reads my text and asks if I want to reply "yes" brings the response of "I'm sorry, I can't help with that right now" or some variation.

Anyone else? There's a growing thread in the AA forums on it. Google is "looking into it".