A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Buzz noise from B&O speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzz noise from B&O speakers

I have the B&O 3D sound system in my 17 A4. For some music, the speakers will make some buzzing noise. I have confirm that was not due to the source of the music, it happens with CD SD card and bluebooth musics. Even the voice instruction from the navi will make that buzzing noise. Does any of you have the same issue? I was suprised it happens on the B&O system. I am going to find a time to visit the dealer for this problem...
Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BtW, i also tried to adjust the tuning and change the sound effects. Problem persisted.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Essentially two sources of "buzzing"

One type of buzz is caused by an improperly grounded head unit or amp somewhere in the chain. You can methodically try and trace that. Look for wet components in the trunk.

A second type is when a speaker is improperly mounted or a driver is torn. The buzz is from signal distortion and will be from a single speaker.

A third, and much less likely source is from electrical interference from the car ignition (this was a major problem before the age of resistor-type spark plugs). You can check this by listening to the stereo with the engine off and on ACC.

Is it coming from more than one speaker? Than likely a grounding issue…

Does it happen with all sound sources - including FM radio? I have had a bad volume control unit that buzzed at certain positions - ultimately replaced the head unit.

Good luck

Eric
Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have the buzz even with engine off. And because there are so many speakers around me, i am not so sure which one exactly but i think it is from the center speaker on the dash...
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try adjusting the balance and fader controls...

Originally Posted by Fujing21
i have the buzz even with engine off. And because there are so many speakers around me, i am not so sure which one exactly but i think it is from the center speaker on the dash...
… in order to isolate the speaker...
Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is probably the speaker grill resonating. Put your hand on the grill with some pressure and see if it goes away.

I had to massage my center channel grill a little to change the resonance frequency.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably one of the speakers is defective. If you can easily reproduce the buzzing symptom, take it to the dealer and get them to replace the faulty speaker.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Made an account just so I could say I just had this exact same problem fixed by my Audi dealer (during 10k mile service). The repair notes say "removed the center speaker grill and modified with felt tape. Reinstalled and checked, buzzing noise no longer present". And it does seem that it is indeed fixed! I can't get it to buzz now no matter what I throw at it. It was driving my insane before, lol.

So either your Audi dealer can handle it, or it seems like a pretty easy fix if you're more hands-on.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for joining the fray -

Originally Posted by Char_Mander
Made an account just so I could say I just had this exact same problem fixed by my Audi dealer (during 10k mile service). The repair notes say "removed the center speaker grill and modified with felt tape. Reinstalled and checked, buzzing noise no longer present". And it does seem that it is indeed fixed! I can't get it to buzz now no matter what I throw at it. It was driving my insane before, lol.

So either your Audi dealer can handle it, or it seems like a pretty easy fix if you're more hands-on.
Don't be stranger ;-)
Old 01-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Char_Mander

Good to know! I have this same issue. It only seems to happen during certain parts of certain songs (I know, real specific there) but it always happens during those parts. It's not a blown speaker, and it certainly seems like resonance. I haven't been able to pinpoint what speaker it's coming from, but I'll check out the center speaker grill and have the dealer take a look at it when I take it in for recall service.

Quick Reply: Buzz noise from B&O speakers