A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Considering a new A4...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new A4...

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have never owned an Audi before. I've owned a few BMWs and one Mercedes in the past, and I love German cars in general.

The A4 is at the top end of my budget, so it will be either a pretty basic equipped A4, or another less expensive vehicle with more options. So I am basically looking at the A4 Premium. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) Infotainment Tech is very important to me. I intend to get the Navigation package on the A4 Premium. It appears to include all of the tech of the higher models except for the better sound system and the virtual cockpit.

By not having the virtual cockpit and only having the 7" color display between the speedometer and tachometer, am I losing any functionality compared to having the virtual cockpit? Or am I basically just missing the ability to shrink the speedometer and tachometer and use "infotainment" mode?

2) Is the basic sound system decent? Obviously I would prefer the Bang & Olufsen system, but it's not available on the Premium. For comparison, many last vehicle was a BMW X1 and it had the basic sound system without the Harmon Kardon upgrade, and it was good enough for me. How does the Audi basic system compare to that in a BMW?

3) I noticed that Xenon headlights are standard on the Premium, and on the higher models LED headlights are standard. I noticed from the pictures that the daytime running lights with the Xenon headlights use a different pattern than those on the LED headlights. Other than the difference in look, is there any major difference in functionality here? I had Xenons on my BMW and they were very bright.

4) I'm pretty set on ordering the Brown leather interior with the brown walnut wood trim. From the pictures on the configuration, it appears that you always get a black headliner in cars with Brown leather. But I can't seem to confirm this 100%. I don't see a need to order the Sports package, but I'd hate not having the black headliner -- I think it makes the interior look so much more classy.

5) Regarding the sports package, which seats would be more comfortable for someone with a bad lower back, the regular standard seats or the upgraded sports seats that come in the sports package?

Thanks for any information or advise you can give.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you considering buying or financing or leasing? If you get the premium with navigation plus package you're required to also get the convenience and then you're at the same price of premium plus which includes so so much more. If you lease or finance the payment difference isn't that large either.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be leasing. The difference in MSRP is $3,250, and that seems to translate to $50-60/month difference. While that may not seem like a lot, this is already at the very top end of my budget, so I'd prefer to not spend the extra money if possible. I just want to find out exactly what I'd be missing.

If it is just appearance stuff like fancier looking lights and the S-line appearance stuff, then I don't really care. I think the Premium still looks very nice, and the interior seems identical.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the Premium Plus is more than worth it, you get LED headlights (couldn't live without now, xenons look so dim when I drive our X5), S-line exterior, heated seats, Bang & Olufsen, Audi Pre-Sense (already saved me from a crash once so very worth it), 7" MMI Screen, keyless entry with kick trunk opening. And once you start loading packages on the premium it becomes the same price as the P+ plus I believe that the Premium Plus has better residuals so you'd have a better lease payment.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have never owned an Audi before. I've owned a few BMWs and one Mercedes in the past, and I love German cars in general.

The A4 is at the top end of my budget, so it will be either a pretty basic equipped A4, or another less expensive vehicle with more options. So I am basically looking at the A4 Premium. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) Infotainment Tech is very important to me. I intend to get the Navigation package on the A4 Premium. It appears to include all of the tech of the higher models except for the better sound system and the virtual cockpit.

By not having the virtual cockpit and only having the 7" color display between the speedometer and tachometer, am I losing any functionality compared to having the virtual cockpit? Or am I basically just missing the ability to shrink the speedometer and tachometer and use "infotainment" mode?

You don't lose any functionality other than the screen size. The virtual cockpit allows you to look at a few more things at once, but nothing that would be a deal breaker.
2) Is the basic sound system decent? Obviously I would prefer the Bang & Olufsen system, but it's not available on the Premium. For comparison, many last vehicle was a BMW X1 and it had the basic sound system without the Harmon Kardon upgrade, and it was good enough for me. How does the Audi basic system compare to that in a BMW?
It's decent, but no where close to the B&O system. However, unless you listen to music very loudly, you'll be satisfied with the standard system.

3) I noticed that Xenon headlights are standard on the Premium, and on the higher models LED headlights are standard. I noticed from the pictures that the daytime running lights with the Xenon headlights use a different pattern than those on the LED headlights. Other than the difference in look, is there any major difference in functionality here? I had Xenons on my BMW and they were very bright.
Xenons are fine, but the LEDs look better aesthetically and ranked higher in IIHS testing.
4) I'm pretty set on ordering the Brown leather interior with the brown walnut wood trim. From the pictures on the configuration, it appears that you always get a black headliner in cars with Brown leather. But I can't seem to confirm this 100%. I don't see a need to order the Sports package, but I'd hate not having the black headliner -- I think it makes the interior look so much more classy.
Correct, black headliner is standard with the nougat interior.
5) Regarding the sports package, which seats would be more comfortable for someone with a bad lower back, the regular standard seats or the upgraded sports seats that come in the sports package?
Seats don't make a huge difference on the back. Really just the extendable seat cushion and slightly larger side bolsters.
Thanks for any information or advise you can give.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
I think the Premium Plus is more than worth it, you get LED headlights (couldn't live without now, xenons look so dim when I drive our X5), S-line exterior, heated seats, Bang & Olufsen, Audi Pre-Sense (already saved me from a crash once so very worth it), 7" MMI Screen, keyless entry with kick trunk opening. And once you start loading packages on the premium it becomes the same price as the P+ plus I believe that the Premium Plus has better residuals so you'd have a better lease payment.
Pre Sense City is standard on every A4. The convenience package would also give him the keyless entry with kick trunk opening. A premium with nav is $3-4k cheaper than a P+ with tech. Residual is the same on P and P+, but typically premium always has the highest residual.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eric5273
I'd be leasing. The difference in MSRP is $3,250, and that seems to translate to $50-60/month difference. While that may not seem like a lot, this is already at the very top end of my budget, so I'd prefer to not spend the extra money if possible. I just want to find out exactly what I'd be missing.

If it is just appearance stuff like fancier looking lights and the S-line appearance stuff, then I don't really care. I think the Premium still looks very nice, and the interior seems identical.
Where in NJ are you located? Perhaps, I can make the A4 more affordable for you.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Where in NJ are you located? Perhaps, I can make the A4 more affordable for you.
Ocean County. I have an appointment tomorrow to test drive the A4 at Ray Catena Audi in Freehold.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Pre Sense City is standard on every A4. The convenience package would also give him the keyless entry with kick trunk opening. A premium with nav is $3-4k cheaper than a P+ with tech. Residual is the same on P and P+, but typically premium always has the highest residual.
I meant without tech pack, you still get 7" just without nav, tech adds so much more you can't get on premium but as soon as you add convenience it's just more money you're paying for things that are standard on P+ Closing the gap.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't forget you should always negotiate the purchase price of a leased vehicle. First you negotiate price, then you say you want to lease it. Then they punch it into a calculator with the residual and money factor and that's your monthly lease price. I've seen "lease specials" where it's basically the car's MSRP minus manufacturer incentives. 0% discount. Perhaps with the difference in negotiation you can bring the cost low enough to afford a Premium Plus or even Premium Plus and Tech Package? That's the sweet spot right there with all the "must-have" features.

Quick Reply: Considering a new A4...