A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Driver Assistance Package = higher maintenance costs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Assistance Package = higher maintenance costs??

My first post! Just ordered a Florett Silver 2017 A4 Prestige last week and I couldn't be more excited - So glad I've discovered this forum which has been incredibly informative and so fun to read everyone's insight and proud be a part of this new A4 family...

Here's my question - I was going to order the Driver Assistance Package or DAP but ultimately decided not to after the sales guy at the dealership talked me out of it when he said the maintenance costs would be significantly more if I got the DAP. He said that the Active Lane Assist required additional maintenance every time the car needs alignment. He said he had heard of a guy who hit a pothole, had to pay $400 for front alignment and an additional $400 to get the Active Lane Assist aligned as well ($800 total).

The more I think about it I'm not sure how much I believe what he was saying - I'm considering calling to add DAP to my car's build before it's too late.

Any experience with this from other B9 owners who have DAP? I'd love to have adaptive cruise, high beam assist, and traffic sign recognition but can live without the cool features in this package if it means avoiding much bigger maintenance bills down the road. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

They should be able to show you this on a service schedule or other maintenance documentation since it would be a procedure they'd have to follow at times at the dealership, if it's true.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered DAP and see no additional cost in maintenance. I rodered the same car but with DAP, Cold Weather, Warm Weather, Sport Package
Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like absolute crap to me but there are some pretty knowledgeable people here and I am sure one of them will answer.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't imagine why they would talk you out of an option on a custom build. I don't have mine yet but I ordered DAP. You may have noticed some owners are "unlocking" some of the features on their own... so even if you don't pay you can still get the high beam assist.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:43 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know about higher maintenance bills, but really, I would recommend DAP. The adaptive cruise is awesome. The traffic sign recognition is fine... except when it abruptly reduces your ACC speed. Not ideal for the law-breaking attitudes on Ontario highways...

Interestingly, in the Canadian market, the 'advanced' DAP package is adaptive cruise, active lane assist, pre sense city (standard on all US market cars), traffic congestion assist, and traffic sign recognition. High beam assist is bundled with the LED headlights.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

There is no additional maintenance. Have driver assist added to your build, it is well worth it.

The only time you will see some additional cost is if the bumper is removed and then the radars need to be recalibrated.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

A full alignment does cost more if the sensors need to be calibrated. It's a labor intensive process to do, but is generally only necessary if the toe of the rear axle is changed, or yes you hit something and the sensors get all knocked out. Removing the bumper shouldn't require the sensors to be re-calibrated, though.

This has been the case on all Audis with ACC, lane assist etc. I've had several mechanical alignments on my RS5 with ACC and so far it hasn't been necessary to re-calibrate the radar sensors. Your sales guy is just unnecessarily scaring you.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mitchfin, one of our members has been playing around with the coding in the computer system and can enable active lane assist and everything in the drivers assistance package minus the adaptive cruise control (because those require extra sensors only built into cars with ACC). So any car with pre-sense city which I believe is PP+ models and above (maybe P models can have that too, I'm not sure) has those features, they just aren't enabled in the computer system, hence the coding to enable them.

So in my opinion this sounds like this guy isn't too knowledgeable. And just for the sake of playing devil's advocate if the sensor where knocked out of place or something how can they prove it was you that did it vs. being a mechanical issue (which is covered under your 4 year/50k mile warranty).

Last edited by Strife1013; 10-24-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Mitchfin, one of our members has been playing around with the coding in the computer system and can enable active lane assist and everything in the drivers assistance package minus the adaptive cruise control (because those require extra sensors only built into cars with ACC). So any car with pre-sense city which I believe is PP+ models and above (maybe P models can have that too, I'm not sure) has those features, they just aren't enabled in the computer system, hence the coding to enable them.

So in my opinion this sounds like this guy isn't too knowledgeable. And just for the sake of playing devil's advocate if the sensor where knocked out of place or something how can they prove it was you that did it vs. being a mechanical issue (which is covered under your 4 year/50k mile warranty).
Pre Sense City is standard on every US A4.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package = higher maintenance costs??