A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To XPEL or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks for inputs here, guys. I have decided to get my Allroad's front (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights) done with Expel followed with a coating. Actually will be bringing my car in this morning and should be ready in a couple of days. I am not getting the whole car done as I think that's not necessarily passing the cost-benefit thing, though I may be regretting that if/when scratches/pings start appearing elsewhere. But taking into consideration where I'm living/driving and my intention on keeping this Allroad for quite some time, it's money pretty well spent as much, if not more, for peace of mind rather than any depreciation.
Regarding the coating - Nanolex in this case, I have decided to get a PRO level coating for its longer lasting durability (and maybe deeper shine) over a self applied coating. However, I have used good self applied coatings (Cquartz and Wolfgang's) with excellent results on my prior cars - though I only had my Q5 long enough - 1.5 years -2 years, to assess durability and all my cars have been kept in garages at night. For all those inclined to detail their own cars and up to the task, I would suggest a coating over a sealant or wax for a way more increase in protection and ultimately, over time, much less time spent washing the car. But self detailing is a whole nother world unto itself.

Besides the obvious protection, I'm a little curious as to how that Gotland green will look when properly prepped and coated. I'll ask my detailer to take some before and after pics and post them here and in the B9 Allroad area.
Have you decided on what brand(s) of coating you might go with?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is going to the detailer on Weds night. Here is my story of obsession.

I did some Google research and settled on Expel. Went to the Expel website and searched nearby installers. I called 3 in my area and asked about the shop, options, and price. I then went to Yelp and searched for info and reviews. I settled on a shop due mostly from the Yelp reviews and the 3 hours I spent talking to him on the phone (he is a talker and a perfectionist!). I set up an appointment to go see his shop and the cars he happens to have there being worked on. I went last week and saw a black A8 (had 100 miles on it), and a brand new (sent from the dealer) BMW M2. They were getting TOTAL wraps. The M2 owner loves this guy and had it delivered directly to him from the dealer! He had a pickup in the shop with a piece of Expel on the fender. He took a wire brush and gave it about 30 swipes. He took warm water and poured it over the wrap... the scratches were gone.

He is covering my entire front end, fenders, hood, mirrors, door handle area, trunk load edge (pulling the yellowed one off from the dealer!) and a few surprise areas that will not tell me for $1,500. He is also doing Opti-Coat ceramic coating everything (wheels and door bays) for another $865.

The front of these cars are prone to being pelted. I like the dump trucks that when empty, pull the tarp back to "clean" out the truck. We are talking "SAND BLASTING!" When it rains, the sand becomes suspended in the puddle water and sometimes carry pebbles (not Flinstone's kid). I have had more windshields smashed during rain than while dry! I wish they had a product for windshields!

Yes, we are obsessed with cars... That's why we bought an Audi..
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Have you decided on what brand(s) of coating you might go with?
Yes, Nanolex SI3D.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Yes, Nanolex SI3D.
Thanks. I see that now...
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I regret not doing a clear bra or film.

Paint is soft and already has chips on the hood, bumper, and headlights.

Car is coated with Opticoat Pro.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Reading this thread there may be some conflating of film and paint protection coatings - they are separate products that do different things.

Xpel (not Expel) Ultimate is a high quality film designed to protect paint damage from small rocks and gravel. It has self-healing properties and a clearcoat layer like the car's paint and does a great job preventing paint chips and minor scratches. Best results are achieved when applied to the full front - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, headlight lenses and A pillars.

Paint protection products like Opti-Coat Pro Plus, Ceramic Pro and CQuartz, are semi-permanent coatings to protect the paint from environmental damage/UV fade, swirls and minor scratches by providing a hard shell over the car (and can even be applied over Xpel Ultimate film). Due to their hydrophobic properties, some coatings eliminate the need for waxing while maintaining a high gloss also making for easier cleaning.

On my A6 I have a full front application of Xpel Ultimate and coatings of Ceramic Pro 9H. In 4 1/2 years and over 55K miles, I've not had a single paint chip nor do I have a need to wax the car and it still looks like new - glossy and slick to the touch.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-06-2017 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dbc777 (10-13-2020)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Reading this thread there may be some conflating film and paint protection coatings - they are separate products that do different things.

Xpel (not Expel) Ultimate is a high quality film designed to protect paint damage from small rocks and gravel. It has self-healing properties and a clearcoat layer like the car's paint and does a great job preventing paint chips and minor scratches. Best results are achieved when applied to the full front - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, headlight lenses and A pillars.

Paint protection products like Opti-Coat Pro Plus, Ceramic Pro and CQuartz, are semi-permanent coatings to protect the paint from environmental damage/UV fade, swirls and minor scratches by providing a hard shell over the car (and can even be applied over Xpel Ultimate film). Due to their hydrophobic properties, some coatings eliminate the need for waxing while maintaining a high gloss also making for easier cleaning.

On my A6 I have a full front application of Xpel Ultimate and coatings of Ceramic Pro 9H. In 4 1/2 years and over 55K miles, I've not had a single paint chip nor do I have a need to wax the car and it still looks like new - glossy and slick to the touch.
Well summarized and stated. My dumb spelling errors Xpel, aside, I agree 100%. And this is what I was referring to about expensive upfront but will keep the car looking great and ultimately is a time saver. It can/will help with resale when you can present to a customer a pristine car, not one with road pings and tons of swirls.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm curious some people talk about doing parts of the hood/etc. If the Xpel doesn't run up to a natural edge can you see a line across car at the edge of the film?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris Engel
I'm curious some people talk about doing parts of the hood/etc. If the Xpel doesn't run up to a natural edge can you see a line across car at the edge of the film?
Yes there is an edge. How visible it is depends on the color of the car, and how close you are to it, the angle of the light, and how clean the car is among other things.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Engel
A bra is less expensive but if the full hood is not covered, with bad luck a stone will land beyond the film. If requested, most installers can wrap the edges on the hood and fenders to eliminate a visible seam. Not really necessary on the bumper or other areas as the edges are not noticeable unless you are very close.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-06-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: To XPEL or not?